Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: 2008 NJ Bear Incidents Up, Alarmingly

Quote Originally Posted by Future Fanatic View Post
    I don't know how Jersey goes about things, but if they did not count deer one year, would they cancel the hunt for the next year?

If yes, then obviously they take the time and/or spend the money to do it each and every year, so why did they NOT do this for bear?

If no, if they HAD a hunt in the past, and killed x number of bears AND the evidence they DO have (road kills and bear incidents) goes UP the next year, why could they not have a hunt AT LEAST based upon the numbers of the previous hunt, given that the former hunt nearly certainly did NOT cause the numbers to drop?
    You're absolutely correct. The last approved hunts were the first in our state for about 30 years. Im not sure what measurements they took back then, but the couple of hunts allowed a few years ago were approved without any knowledge of actual numbers of bears. If a hunt is whats needed to keep the population in check than Im all for it. Many on this board are coming across as though they feel there should just be a hunt.. end of story. Any pro-conservationist would want the hunt to keep things stable a be a good thing, so why not know the facts before making presumptions? If there are so many bears, than NJ must have some bad hunters because about 95% of the people who participated in the last hunt didn't bag crap.

Listen To The River Sing Sweet Songs To Rock My Soul...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

BB,

The reason many of the hunters that hunted in Sussex County "didn't bag crap" was beacuse the animal rights liberals were out in force banging pans together in the woods. You should have seen it. They outnumbered the hunters 10-1. Now, where's a bear attack when you need one.

Cdog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Ahh, yes. I did hear about those people.. believe me I was not one of them. I have many family members and friends in PA, NJ, and NY that hunt and by no means oppose it when done correctly. How did NY treat you Dog?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBOW View Post
    Ahh, yes. I did hear about those people.. believe me I was not one of them. I have many family members and friends in PA, NJ, and NY that hunt and by no means oppose it when done correctly. How did NY treat you Dog?
    As for my SR trip on the 17th. Went 6 of 13 landed. As for Memorial Day weekend and my secret little NY mountain stream...I didn't get to go out and play.

There are 3 things important to me in life...a good home cooked meal, fishing, and well you know the other. I'm not giving any of them up!

How was your Adirondack trip?

Cdog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

We camped along a smaller river than I'd usually fish up there and after about 3 casts I had a million black flies on me. We took a 5 mile hike to the upper Hudson and same thing.. had to get out of there without wetting a line. We ended up sitting at a biker bar for a few hours until the bugs settled down and we could get our fire going where our camp was.. then all was well. Fished the river my place is on the next night for a couple hours and caught a bunch of rainbows and browns, none of any noteworthy size. Would've been better if the bugs hadn't ruined the first place we were at. I saw a lot of fish in there for the few minutes I could withstand the drones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBOW View Post
    We camped along a smaller river than I'd usually fish up there and after about 3 casts I had a million black flies on me. We took a 5 mile hike to the upper Hudson and same thing.. had to get out of there without wetting a line. We ended up sitting at a biker bar for a few hours until the bugs settled down and we could get our fire going where our camp was.. then all was well. Fished the river my place is on the next night for a couple hours and caught a bunch of rainbows and browns, none of any noteworthy size. Would've been better if the bugs hadn't ruined the first place we were at. I saw a lot of fish in there for the few minutes I could withstand the drones.

Sounds like it was a good trip, black flys excluded. I've been running into them this year as well. Gotta soak yourself in deet.

Cdog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Speaking of Bear incidents

Posted today Wednesday 5/28 on myCentralJersey.com:

BRIDGEWATER —A bear was struck and killed Wednesday morning on northbound Interstate 287 after there were several bruin sightings in the township.

Police aren’t sure if the “large bear” that ran out from the grass along the outer lanes of the highway and struck a motorist’s fender at 9:30 a.m. is the same one that has been rambling behind homes along Crim Road, Mountaintop Road and West Foothill Road earlier this week, state police Sgt. Brian Potter said.

The motorist, who was not identified, was not injured. Her silver Toyota Camry suffered front-end damage. The bear was killed in the crash and was left roadside for the New Jersey Division of Fish, Game and Wildlife to pick up sometime Wednesday or Thursday, Potter said.

There were six bear sightings on Monday along Crim Road and Mountaintop Road, Township Administrator Jim Naples said. There was another one Wednesday morning on West Foothill Road, he said, reading from police Chief Richard Borden’s report.

Township officials are asking residents to be “bear aware” and posted a list of precautions on the township Web site, www.bridgewaternj.gov.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,068 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 11 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NJDrew View Post
    Speaking of Bear incidents

The motorist, who was not identified, was not injured. Her silver Toyota Camry suffered front-end damage. The bear was killed in the crash and was left roadside for the New Jersey Division of Fish, Game and Wildlife to pick up sometime Wednesday or Thursday, but an unidentified man only known as Petie-Po skinned the bear before officials had a chance to claim it. Potter said.
    I am surprised that more hit and kill accidents haven't occured.

As always, bears should remain in bear country, and not in New Jersey.

AK Skim

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

The best way to get a bear hunt approved is for the bears to keep moving east.

AK, probably more killed than what gets reported. Up my way, it's a more common way to shop than Shoprite.

What's for dinner Grampa...Road kill...yum yum,
    Cdog

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 13 Times in 12 Posts

The more I read this thread about bears, the more I like reading about bears! I love a good debate.

Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I'm just curious...How many people here have eaten NJ black bear meat?

I had it once and that was enough for me. Would rather eat possum stew.

Cdog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I ate it once. My crazy PA buddy had some. Apparently it needs to be cooked very well becuase of bacteria or something of the sorts, I forget. That crazy bastard also fed me beaver tail.. mmmm, tastes like chicken (steak actually).

Thread Information