Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

looking for DSLR camera storage

Looking to buy a soft waterproof case for taking on float trips. One that has adjustable padded compartments for a DSLR body and three lenses. Was thinking about the Large Simms Dry Creek Boat Bag but haven't seen what it looks like on the inside. Anyone use this bag or have something similar to it? I already have a Pelican watertight hardcase (more like a suitcase) but that's something I don't want to lug onto a drift boat.

Does anyone have any idea why Cabelas would sell the Coal colored version of the Simms bag for $120 and the Sterling color version for $190? I think the former is more appealing than the latter color-wise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Re: looking for DSLR camera storage

These are the best waterproof camera bags on the market.
    Sagebrush Dry - Simply the finest waterproof bags for recreation available anywhere.

My fishing partner overturned my canoe on the Delaware and this bag (along with my Nikon and two lenses) floated down the river nicely until I caught up with it a few hundred yards downstream.... Hint: get a high visibility color!

I also use a Pelican case when I travel, but that is hard sided.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    494 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by C&R View Post
    Looking to buy a soft waterproof case for taking on float trips. One that has adjustable padded compartments for a DSLR body and three lenses. Was thinking about the Large Simms Dry Creek Boat Bag but haven't seen what it looks like on the inside. Anyone use this bag or have something similar to it? I already have a Pelican watertight hardcase (more like a suitcase) but that's something I don't want to lug onto a drift boat.

Does anyone have any idea why Cabelas would sell the Coal colored version of the Simms bag for $120 and the Sterling color version for $190? I think the former is more appealing than the latter color-wise.
    Does the bag have to be made by Sage? I picked up a really durable waterproof bag from Campmore for 30 bux. The only thing missing is the Sage name. If you're familiar with Rt. 17 in the Paramus area, check out Campmore. They have quite a few waterproof bags to choose from and they aren't going to rip you off.

Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by CR View Post
    These are the best waterproof camera bags on the market.
    Sagebrush Dry - Simply the finest waterproof bags for recreation available anywhere.

My fishing partner overturned my canoe on the Delaware and this bag (along with my Nikon and two lenses) floated down the river nicely until I caught up with it a few hundred yards downstream.... Hint: get a high visibility color!

I also use a Pelican case when I travel, but that is hard sided.
    According to the description the large Sagebrush camera bag fits a body and one lens. Which probably means the body with a lens attached to it and one extra lens. Doesn't look like it could fit anything else though. Right now I'm favoring the Simms bag right now for its sheer size. In addition to camera gear, it would allow me to fit other things like spare spools, keys, wallet, etc. For $70 off the list price for the one particular color, I think I'm going to give it a try. Besides I have an $80 credit for returned Christmas merchandise so that will absorb most of the cost.

I'm planning a visit to Ramsey this week to check out the waders Dennis bought and I'll probably stop in Campmor to check out their bags as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans

Dennis,

Which bag did you buy? Saw a few dry bags at Campmor yesterday, but none were very conducive to carrying a camera and lenses without them rattling around.

C&R NEFF Guest

Got the large Simms boat bag yesterday. See pics below. Its bigger than I thought. Way bigger, way deeper. Not sure I want to keep it.

I was able to put the camera body in it with attached 24-70mm lens, a 100mm macro lens, a 75-300mm telephoto lens, and a 10-24mm wide angle lens. I could probably fit a case of beer in there as well.

It doesn't come with several soft padded dividers like I thought it would. It only comes with two rigid plastic dividers which are useless for expensive camera equipment if you ask me. I could always use my extra Pelican Pick 'n Pluck foam sheet (see below) that I got when I purchased my hard case (see my current hard case config below as well).

I'm not quite sure the bag will keep my camera and lenses 100% dry in the event of an accidental dunking. According to the tag, the main compartment is 100% waterproof, only the pockets are not (though highly resistant). I really don't see a difference between the main compartment zipper and the pocket zippers. Anyone know more about this?

The medium and small versions of this bag are taller than they are wider which is the opposite of what I want so I can't really say let me try a smaller bag.

Not sure what to do at this point...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	simms01.jpg 
Views:	2575 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	1687   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	simms02.jpg 
Views:	3347 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	1688   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	simms03.jpg 
Views:	757 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	1689   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	simms04.jpg 
Views:	3150 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	1690   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	simms05.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	1691  

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

My bag is 100 percent submersible. I can fit the body with a lens attached and either two additional lenses or one lens and the SB-800 flash.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

My bag is 100 percent submersible. I can fit the body with a lens attached and either two additional lenses or one lens and the SB-800 flash.
    Which one do you have? The Cam-Dry large? Was it the same one you showed me on the MS? Because of the angle, the photo of that bag on the Sagebrush site makes it look small.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Not their camera bag -- the Hip and Deck bag. It's like a backpack and you can purchase a padded divider for the camera/lenses. Like I said, it holds a camera with lens, plus at least two other lenses or lens/flash. It's perfect for traveling/fishing....I've taken it to Alaska, Montana, Oregon, Labrador, Florida, and locally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Not their camera bag -- the Hip and Deck bag. It's like a backpack and you can purchase a padded divider for the camera/lenses. Like I said, it holds a camera with lens, plus at least two other lenses or lens/flash. It's perfect for traveling/fishing....I've taken it to Alaska, Montana, Oregon, Labrador, Florida, and locally.

You have the complete bag? Or just the deck part? Can't visualize what the two configurations look like side by side. They really need to put better (and larger photos) on that site. Do you have a photo of your bag with gear inside?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

They are a really small operation - the site is not great. I have the Hip part - the yellow one in the photo that someone is wearing like a backpack.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

They are a really small operation - the site is not great. I have the Hip part - the yellow one in the photo that someone is wearing like a backpack.
    Is this what you have?

Thread Information