Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking for Comments on Orvis Tailwaters XT Bootfoot & Others

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I spent quite a bit on time on it yesterday & today researching waders... lots of great info and it was very helpfull.
    I'm getting ready to buy a pair and could use some help... haven't bought waders in 15yrs and I'm just getting back into fly fishing.

My first pick is Orvis Tailwaters XT Bootfoots. I really didn't see any threads about these only 3 or 4 short comments under other wader threads. I'd really appreciate your thoughts on these if you have used them for any length of time. I'd like to know how they hold up. I tried a pair on at Gander Mt and they felt great.

Also wanted to inquire about Simms G3 stocking foot waders... from what I saw in my searches it seems like the quality of these have been going down hill... and so has Simms service... is that true? Should I eliminate these from my short list or am I getting a lopsided picture?

Another option I'm considering are the Orvis Silver Labels (and I saw some bad feedback on these as well) along with Orvis Easy-On Brogue wading boots. Any comments on these would be helpfull. Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,068 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 11 Times in 11 Posts

Re: Looking for Comments on Orvis Tailwaters XT Bootfoot & Others

First ... welcome to NEFF

Concerning your waders;

Think LL BEAN.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    538 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 13 Times in 12 Posts

JM,

A few things to note...

Quote Originally Posted by Orvis.com

The Orvis 100% Satisfaction Guarantee:
    For 150 years, we have offered the strongest return policy in the business. We will refund your money on any purchase that isn't 100% satisfactory. Anytime, for any reason. It's that simple.
    Does not apply to waders. Sure it says any purchase, any time, any reason, but they modify it at will. If you search the site for Orvis Waders, you can see the hell they put a few people through. Not only that, you'll see the responses from Orvis themselves! Just for the record, I typically like using Orvis products and for the most part of it, I think their products are well made. I don't agree with their 100% Satisfaction Guarantee because it's just not true. That's false advertising if you ask me.

That should actually read, "The Orvis 50/50 Satisfaction Guarantee: For 150 years, we have offered the strongest return policy in the business. We will refund some of your money on any purchase that isn't 100% satisfactory. Sometimes, for some reasons, It's not always going to be so simple.

They still make a nice rod and the tippet material is pretty good too. Actually, they make quite a few nice things. Just be careful. Check out Dan Bailey's, LL Bean, and of course Patagonia and Cabella's. You can't go wrong with any of those.

Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans

Thanks guys... after searching the threads I did look into Patagonia,Dan Bailey and LLBean. I eliminated Dan Bailey because I don't like the 1/2 belts on the sides. I like to use a full belt so they will just be in the way. The Patagonia's looked very good... but I have never seen them or know anybody who has used them. There is a Patagonia store in Ct about an hour from me... maybe I'll get out there next week. What do you like about Patagonia's? The LLBean Wicked Toughs and GQS's look very good also... the Wicked's are out of stock until at least mid-March. Are these the LLBean models you are talking about? I've been buying from LLBean for almost 40yrs and I know they stand behind their products... they always have.

I know what you mean about Orvis service... I've had a couple of run ins with them over the past 2 months on two pairs of Tailwaters XT's. On two consecutive pairs the left boot was not sized properly (much narrower than the right boot). Plus the neoprene bootie that is molded into the boot on one of them had a good size lump in it. When I sent the first pair back I talked with them first and included a letter telling them NOT to put them back in stock and I included a detailed description on what to look for so they could see he defect for themselves. When I returned the second pair I talked with them again and told them I had a very similar problem again(but different from the first)... and I asked for my original shipping fee to be returned. They looked up the original return and told me it was a "size exchange" and I wasn't entitled to a refund. After a loud discussion I got my refund... but I know those defective waders went back in stock and somebody else will get them. I even called their customer service this week and asked to talk to a technical expert on waders. Told them I was interested in the tailwaters xt and I asked about the quality and if they get many returns or know of any problems. The answers were no and no. So I'm not a happy Orvis fan right now. However, I did try a pair on at Gander Mt and loved them... but the one I tried on was the only one in my size and it was a floor model and looked like they mopped the floor with them. The Orvis experience I had is why I'm asking for comments on them... I was hoping Orvis just got a bad run on them. My son has a pair and loves them but he only has about 10 days of use on them. But I won't pay Orvis the $379... I can get them on ebay for a heck of a lot less... 1/2 price or less. And Orvis knows about that ebay seller... I asked. He buys from them. They told me if I buy from him I won't get the "100% Satisfaction Guarantee" I willing to take a chance on another pair if I get some positive feedback here. Plus the ebay seller has a 15 day money back guarantee and he has a pretty good rep.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    538 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Real quick then I'm off to work... From my understanding, Orvis has the highest return rate on waders and they don't stand behind that particular product. Don't take my word for it though, I've kept away from them due to all the bad press.

Also, SIMMS are a bit out of my league these days. 800 for something that keeps you dry??????????? When every company decides not to make wader anymore except for simms, I'll double up on plastic bags. NO THANKS, SIMMS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I am out of steam with the return game with Orvis.

Albeit I fish for than your average angler, I am finding the time between leaks ranges from right out of the box to only a couple of months.

I have two pairs of Orvis waders and rarely have them in my possession concurrently as one is out for repair.

In the past two months I received back a pair of leaking Pro Guide 2' and immediately returned a pair of Clear water endura's both stocking foot.

Within weeks the stitching on the gravel Guards of the Pro Guides started coming undone.

Meanwhile after 6 weeks in mid January I was contacted and told the could no longer repair or replace my Clearwater’s. And they Held their breath.

I tried holding mine and the best I could get out of them was 40 % off on any model.

So I ordered a pair of the Silver labels ( an upgrade from the Clearwater’s ) at 40 % off.

Within days of this I received the Orvis Newsprint magazine / catalog with both the Pro Guides and Silver Labels listed as discontinued not at prices available to general public equal to my Great Deal of 40 % off.

I’m Pissed. I have not made call yet, because now I have a pair of brand new waders that’s cost me the same as everyone else, they kept my old leaky waders as un repairable in exchange for the 40 % and I have a two month old pair of stitch ripped Pro Guides.

So at this point I need to make another phone call, incur additional shipping charges if they agree to fix pr replace pro guides and give me better than 40 % off other pair leaving me wader less.

This sucks.

My next pair of emergency waders will be a Pair from LL Bean that I saw for under 100 bucks!

I have concluded its just not worth buying expensive waders or super expensive waders as I hear just as maney horror stories

Ralph

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,068 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 11 Times in 11 Posts

The worst thing about it Ralph, they have you no matter which way you turn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by rford View Post
    I am out of steam with the return game with Orvis.

My next pair of emergency waders will be a Pair from LL Bean that I saw for under 100 bucks!
    The Patagonias I bought over the summer are too big for me, but are primo waders.

I have a pair of cheap emergency waders from LL Bean (the $59 Flyweights) that I wear as my regular waders. They leaked out of the box, sent them back, replacements lasted through four or five trips before they started leaking at the feet. By this time, I decide I am no longer interested in sending back waders for leaking feet. Stocked up on Aquaseal and I'm good to go. I have no idea why neoprene feet develop pinholes (these leaks are NOT at seams like you'd think. In both feet, the leaks were above the toe seam in the neoprene itself. I have been leak-free for quite some time now.

The next time you go to the Little Lehigh, take a little detour to the LL Bean store (if you haven't already been there). It's on the way! You can PM me if you want directions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by jessie View Post
    The Patagonias I bought over the summer are too big for me, but are primo waders.

I have a pair of cheap emergency waders from LL Bean (the $59 Flyweights) that I wear as my regular waders. They leaked out of the box, sent them back, replacements lasted through four or five trips before they started leaking at the feet. By this time, I decide I am no longer interested in sending back waders for leaking feet. Stocked up on Aquaseal and I'm good to go. I have no idea why neoprene feet develop pinholes (these leaks are NOT at seams like you'd think. In both feet, the leaks were above the toe seam in the neoprene itself. I have been leak-free for quite some time now.

The next time you go to the Little Lehigh, take a little detour to the LL Bean store (if you haven't already been there). It's on the way! You can PM me if you want directions.

Jessie,

You got the right answer!

Aquaseal all the way. I've practically lined the entire inside of my waders with the stuff and no more leaks.

No one makes a wader I can't get to leak.

Cdog

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    538 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Can a class action lawsuit be drawn up to dispute the 100% satisfaction guarantee and the items in question?

Seems like it would work to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans

So far no comments on the Tailwaters... that may not be good.

What LLBean models do you guys like?? Wicked Tough and GQS look pretty good.

The Orvis 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    For over 150 years we have offered the strongest return policy in the business. We will refund your money on any purchase that isn't 100% satisfactory -- any time, for any reason. It's that simple.
    dcabarle: I don't think an attorney general or judge would have a problem interpreting that statement.

Then they turnaround a contradict themselves with a different policy in the wader repair section... why would you even look there when buying new waders.

BobC is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I've had the same pair of G3s since they first came out and never had a problem. Very Comfortable.

Thread Information