Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,068 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 11 Times in 11 Posts

Fishing A Dropper

I don't fish tandem nymph rigs because....

Casting turns out to be a rats nest.

I like to rap my tippet around the indicator...

Way to dangerous....

I watched McAwful's latest video on fishing a tandem rig and.. hummmm... interesting, educational, I can do that... I think.

Charlie Meck's latest book is .. fishing a tandem fly set up.

Maybe it is time to put away those fears and give it a try this winter.

But in the spring and while you are talking to me and I keep say .. "Huh...Huh???" you can safely assume that the dropper fly caught something as it went by.

As always, want to keep my Buccaneers where they are at.

AK Skim

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Fishing A Dropper

Quote Originally Posted by AKSkim View Post
    I don't fish tandem nymph rigs because....

Casting turns out to be a rats nest.

I like to rap my tippet around the indicator...

Way to dangerous....

I watched McAwful's latest video on fishing a tandem rig and.. hummmm... interesting, educational, I can do that... I think.

Charlie Meck's latest book is .. fishing a tandem fly set up.

Maybe it is time to put away those fears and give it a try this winter.

But in the spring and while you are talking to me and I keep say .. "Huh...Huh???" you can safely assume that the dropper fly caught something as it went by.

As always, want to keep my Buccaneers where they are at.

AK Skim
    AK, we've gotta put those fears to rest.

Charlie Meck's mission in life it to get all flyfishermen to fish the tandom rig. If I didn't know better, I'd think he invented it. Attend his seminar at the FF Show and you'll know what I mean. Great guy!

Casting hint: Let your back cast pull tight before starting your forward cast. I means straight back, no loop at all. And if you don't occasionally get tangled in your indicator, you're not trying hard enough.

Always willing to help you learn to fish,

Cdog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts

Tandem rigs are a real bonus some days.

A few more suggestions.

Trouble with indicators? Go old school and do without. Will cause you to watch a lot closer. With heavier nymphs watch the bow in the line and strike when it tightens or does something odd.

Open loops really help keeping multiple flies/nymphs from tangling, but so does going to a heavier tippet. I am going to be clobbered for this, but I start at 3X to 4X and go down as needed. I fish 6X a fair amount with those 22 Zebra midges, but in general I think people use far too fine a tippet. IMHO it is more sporting to use heavier tippets - forces you do get presentation down just so and allows the fish to be played fairly quickly.

Highlands Ranch, Co, formerly South Orange, NJ
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
    Casting hint: Let your back cast pull tight before starting your forward cast. I means straight back, no loop at all.
    Cdog
    If room allows (i.e. no other fly fisher nearby, brush, trees and other obstacles) I often let the fly line stretch out completely below me and just flick the rig upstream, without any false casting. The tension of the water is enough to load the rod and to make the next presentation.

just my 2 cents.

Live long and fly fish
    Visit my blog Tenkara On The Fly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    316 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts

Echoing what Jeff said (somewhat):
    • Use as heavy a dropper as possible. I generally use (hard/stiff) 3X for droppers (4X occasionally), regardless of how light or soft the point tippet is.

Keep the dropper short to minimize tangles (and make them easier to untangle). I normally leave an 8" tag off a blood (barrel) knot, (after attaching the fly about 6"). I keep re-using it until it's too short to conviently tie to a fly.

If it's windy, keep the point tippet fairly short (24" or less).

I never used an indicator, but agree that it would be likely to complicate things.

Definitely, keep an open loop, while casting.

Put the heavier fly on the point tippet.
    OR...

Some people don't use conventional droppers, but add a second fly by tying another tippet to the bend of the first hook. I imagine that if you can cast an indicator without problems, you can do this with impunity. I've done this a few times when I wanted to add a third fly without rebuilding the leader, or want to add a fly that's too small for the 3X or 4X dropper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans

Ak,

Karel is right on with the water load. Use that or a roll cast if you are using an indicator. Back casting w/all of that crap on your line will get you a tangle eventually no matter how open your loop is. This will be mentioned in the videos over the next month or two.

JeffK makes a great point about not using the indicator. Liesering or Checz style is great in the Spring-Fall in NJ, or in some of the Ontario tributaries winter fisheries. In NJ, if you are really matching winter food sources and feeding patterns for Trout, the indicator is clutch. Hits are super subtle and you need a near perfect drag free presentation (or slower) in 90% of the typical winter situations I fish.

Jeff is also right about the tippet. My normal winter two fly indicator rig is
    weight on 3x
    blood knot to
    16-20in 4x fluorocarbon to 1st fly
    clinch knot to
    16-20in 5x flour carbon to last fly

I almost never use 6x in the winter even on #22-#26 size flies. Take a threader and stuff it through...

Cdog-Charlie is going to tie a fly (video) and maybe cover a fishing technique with us in the spring. He is also the nicest person on the planet. Eric Stroup is also going to do some more winter fishing techniques and tie a Zebra Midge (video) in the next few weeks when his rivers and weather decide to cooperate with us.

Pete- the blood knot tag end connection is great and I use it when I go to a 3rd fly.

McA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by McAwful View Post
    Cdog-Charlie is going to tie a fly (video) and maybe cover a fishing technique with us in the spring. He is also the nicest person on the planet. Eric Stroup is also going to do some more winter fishing techniques and tie a Zebra Midge (video) in the next few weeks when his rivers and weather decide to cooperate with us.
    McA
    Where?

When?

How do I get there?

Cdog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Karel View Post
    If room allows (i.e. no other fly fisher nearby, brush, trees and other obstacles) I often let the fly line stretch out completely below me and just flick the rig upstream, without any false casting. The tension of the water is enough to load the rod and to make the next presentation.

just my 2 cents.
    Good point, Karel.

I do the same about half the time.

And as you said...without any false casting. That's where most of my tangle disasters come from.

Everyone has a personal preference, mine is 5X from leader to first fly and 6X from first fly to second fly.

Cdog

Cdog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I always use a dropper when I use Soft Hackles, and keep the false casting down to minimum or with a very wide slow loop. I usually roll cast them if possible. F/T

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I also find it a lot easier to let the water load the rod. What I find curious, I always seem to catch fish on the bottom fly. Hardly ever on the top one. I've even switched them around with the same results.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts

Now to stir the pot a little.

I like tying the dropper flies off a tag line (particularly for soft hackle wets or Czech nymphs).

The New Zealand style (tying a dropper line off the bend of the hook of the upper nymph) is effective and easy to do afield. This is what Mr Meck touts and he has a great way to tie the dropper line to the bend of a hook. However, I find this to be a snagging machine in places crawling with trout, like the Pequest spillway. Little Lehigh etc. I see way too many fish at the Pequest TCA with hooks all over their heads, tails, and dorsals and I don't let the fly guys get off the hook for this one - regardless of all the outcry against those damn spinfishermen. Don't find that with a tag line dropper. If only circle hooks worked in midge sizes!

AKS, I thought you would appreciate full disclosure, especially where snagging is concerned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,068 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 11 Times in 11 Posts

Jeff;

You provided some very interesting insight into the possibility of snagging with a dropper.

Never even considered such an item.

Thanks.

Thread Information