Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Watman is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

BeaMoc Hatch Charts

Hello,

Is this a good hatch chart for the Beaverkill and Willow? Are there any others that you would recommed?

http://www.beaverkillangler.com/bevhatch.html

Thanks,

Rick

Similar Threads:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Should be fine. Dates vary of course. You can also check out this one at the Delaware River Club http://www.mayfly.com/scripts/drcnewdesign.cgi//c
    cut and past it into your address line.

You may also want to purchase the streamside identification kit that Joe T swears by. I think you can do it at the same website.

General bug identification skills are very valuable and neither chart will mean much to you unless you can grab the bug that's hatching and identify it.

You've got all winter to study. Go out and buy Hatches II. I hate to admit it, but it is standard bedside reading at my house.

"Not all those who wander are lost."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Watman, that first one ought to cover you for years to come. Think of it like this.................what with allllllllll the Caddis species there are for you to learn, the stoneflies, terrestrials, the baitfish, grayfish, sculpins, etc., etc. ...........get my drift? NPI. Don't drive yourself crazy trying to become an expert entomoligist. Work on your "presentation" of those flies. Don't matter if you have the right bug, if you present it wrong. Dig? Some of the best fisherman who ever lived only use a couple differnet flies. That's because their presentation is so good, that's all they need. mark

Mark J. Romero
    www.fudr.org
    607-498-9944
    M&M Fly Fishing
    JazzMark Gallery
    94 Yorktown Road
    Roscoe, N.Y. 12776-5017

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I have a bit of experience on the D and I have seen some strange things there. One time fishing with a couple of friends of mine in August, there was an olive hatch and my one buddy's hadn't gotten anything on the olives of my choice. He then put on a #12 royal wulff and within the next 5 casts, caught a nice 17" bow.

Also, many years ago, a guy who lived on the NY side of Kellams bridge (he passed away quite a while ago and there is now a NYS parking area where his house used to be) used to fish the pool for an hour or so in the evenings from his john boat by anchoring and using a couple of wets and doing the hand-over-hand strip. He didn't land everything he hooked, but most times when I was there and he was out, he would get fish to eat.
    Sometimes the fish on the D (I usually fish the mainstem) are cooperative and eat a number of different patterns (caddis and mayfly, same pool, successive casts, with the correct presentation), BUT more ofter than not, they are VERY selective. Personally, I would choose a match-the-hatch pattern over an attractor pattern EVERY time.

Bruce
    - just my $.02

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Cool fishing

Wow, it's 12:55 a.m. on Tue.night/Wed/ morning and i haven't even looked at this thread since when i posted. Which was 11-26, and now it's 12-03.........boy a lot went down in 8 days. LMAO. I think both ways of fishing are fun (Match the Hatch Vs. Attractor Patterns). Thing is, at this point i could care less anymore if i even catch fish. I don't go fishing to catch fish first and formost. I simply go to be outside and clear my head and think. If i catch a fish, cool, if not, cool too. My wife is the captain of the Japanese National Fly Fishing Team, (Team Japan) and she goes to the International Fly Fishing Championships every year and competes. Why.................? Beats the hell out of me..........LMAO. She likes it. So i like that she likes it. It gives her happiness.........that's all that matters. Actually it's the people who she meets and remeets and the "Conservation Symposium" (that is also part of the "EVENT") and the diners, and the tying, and allllllll the rest of it, that really makes it something she wants to do over and over. And believe me, it cost a damm fortune to do, and don't nobody pays for it but us. There are lots of "perks." Free rods, shirts, hats, vises, tools, etc., etc., etc. but that's not why anyone would spend all that bread to go to Bum **** wherever to fish. It's the friendships you make with all the "other nut cases" you meet. Some incredable folks, who can fish and tye their assess off! My wife's a trip! Me, i just tye and mess around on the stream. Nowdays i'm happy just to be outside workin' on the place with my dogs. All this ego, i can outfish you crap is just a laugh. It's like the Japanese say.....Oh realrie.......Oh realrie...........LMAO. mark(willow)

Mark J. Romero
    www.fudr.org
    607-498-9944
    M&M Fly Fishing
    JazzMark Gallery
    94 Yorktown Road
    Roscoe, N.Y. 12776-5017

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Even with great presentations, Delaware trout are highly selective. They will, more often than not, eat a bug unless it's a specific imitation of what they are eating.

I also believe that on the Delaware, with a given presentation, you'll ususally catch many more fish matching the hatch. The exception to this rule is to toss a large spinner of a species that has been hatching for a while even if fish are eating smaller bugs. (I think often the larger fly is around sporadically and the fish do recognize it for what it is hence one is actually matching the hatch. More importantly I think with a larger bug one gets in improved presentation... less micro drag).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I, Mr. Midnight Poacher, am nominating myself as a volunteer for this fine site.

I am suggesting that we have volunteer "guest moderators" every month. I am nominating myself for the first slot for December. My aim is to ensure that the dialogue centers around many things, including:

Cigars
    Latest Beer vintages -- currently my favorite is Rolling Rock
    Flyfishing in extreme conditions -- Are you up to the challenge to fish in snow showers?
    Fly patterns that cause an uproar. My current favorite is Hyde Low Riders Black Shenk Sculpin pattern -- black goes with anything.
    My latest Vogue Model dating activities -- hey, I am the moderator, right?
    Snippets of information gleamed from my interaction with the many characters of the Catskill arena.

I look forward to the challenge.

Sincerely,

MP

Midnight Poacher

"Lurking deep in every fisherman's soul is the dark side - the need to fish private waters that are posted with no tresspassing signs."

"Save a Trout -- Ride a Flyfisherman."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

MP

Glad to see your still around,I thought maybe Vader got a hold of you.

I think the guest moderator is a great idea and you got my vote!

Hey while scuba diving did you happend to get some of my magic cdc patterns back from those 35 inch browns?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Fear not MP I will not moderate your escapades with the vogue chicks, I am after all living vicariously through you..LOL

It's really not just about catching fish, too bad so many people just don't get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Nothing like MP coming in to relax the atmosphere. He always shows up at the right time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Cool vader

Hey Joe, what's that............oh..oh excuse me, that's another tune. How bout Vader as the next guest moderator. I'll take that sucker on any day of the week. LMAO. mark

Mark J. Romero
    www.fudr.org
    607-498-9944
    M&M Fly Fishing
    JazzMark Gallery
    94 Yorktown Road
    Roscoe, N.Y. 12776-5017

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

JOE.T

Yes - I have collected numerous patterns of yours in various sizes, shapes and colors. Your secret patterns are no more.

If you ever want to join me in a Scuba Diving trip on of those revered Catskill rivers -- let me know. FYI, I was under water in the lower No Kill section of the Beaverkill while you were fishing not so long ago. Did you notice that when you snagged your fly --the fly was lost? Now, you know why.

Sincerely,

Your favorite Guest Moderator

Midnight Poacher

"Lurking deep in every fisherman's soul is the dark side - the need to fish private waters that are posted with no tresspassing signs."

"Save a Trout -- Ride a Flyfisherman."

Thread Information