Canandaigua N.Y. "The Fingerlakes Region of Western N.Y."
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question Areas to go for Fall Trout Fishing in the Finger Lakes?

I am new to fly fishing and would like any advice on where to go this fall for trout? Any and all help is appreciated!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Re: Areas to go for Fall Trout Fishing in the Finger Lakes?

Jim,

I see you're a little NW of me. I'd suggest the Cohocton because it's a reasonable distance for a day trip and I don't know the waters up by you. If you are looking for more than a day, then you've got a lot of areas you can cover.

Allan

Allan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans

how about the outlet to keluka lake, or any stream running into the lakes for fall browns.

sandfly/bob
    Flyfishing instructor, Tying and Shop owner
    www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com
    N.J.B.B.A.2215
    formally Bucks now Tioga Co. Pa.
    there's a fine line between Sane and Insane !

I did not escape----They gave me a day pass !!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts

Up until Oct 15 (end of general trout season) I like the gorges that have trout in them - look at stocking lists. It's a blast to fish all the little pockets and plunge pools.

The tribs fishing in the Finger Lakes is hit or miss, but when you hit it is great. The tribs and runs are small and the fish move in and out quickly. The landlocks start in October and the browns in November. It is basically wait until a rain brings the water up and the fish in and do a ton of driving around to find fish. Same flies and techniques as steelhead more or less - it's kind of like Great Lakes trib fishing with less and smaller fish (and less crowds).

In the end of October/beginning November when the surface water gets down to about 50F shore fishing can be a option. It is not a high percentage thing and requires plenty of scouting/access. Wait until a North or South wind generates currents in the lakes (the FL are oriented N to S - a west wind doesn't do much to get currents rolling). Check out points where the current will concentrate bait fish and cast streamers. Taughnannock Pt is the classic point since it has plenty of public space.

Look at your fishing regs for the counties you fish. The special regs areas with year round fishing usually are good in the fall.

Canandaigua N.Y. "The Fingerlakes Region of Western N.Y."
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by JeffK View Post
    Up until Oct 15 (end of general trout season) I like the gorges that have trout in them - look at stocking lists. It's a blast to fish all the little pockets and plunge pools.

The tribs fishing in the Finger Lakes is hit or miss, but when you hit it is great. The tribs and runs are small and the fish move in and out quickly. The landlocks start in October and the browns in November. It is basically wait until a rain brings the water up and the fish in and do a ton of driving around to find fish. Same flies and techniques as steelhead more or less - it's kind of like Great Lakes trib fishing with less and smaller fish (and less crowds).

In the end of October/beginning November when the surface water gets down to about 50F shore fishing can be a option. It is not a high percentage thing and requires plenty of scouting/access. Wait until a North or South wind generates currents in the lakes (the FL are oriented N to S - a west wind doesn't do much to get currents rolling). Check out points where the current will concentrate bait fish and cast streamers. Taughnannock Pt is the classic point since it has plenty of public space.

Look at your fishing regs for the counties you fish. The special regs areas with year round fishing usually are good in the fall.
    Jeff, Should I use tricos for the Fall Browns or what would you suggest? Thanks again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts

Whatever works - don't need to match the hatch since the hatches weren't strong and they were taking whatever was avaliable. Last week on top I did better with smaller terrestrials (ants and beetles), BWOs and midges - the low clear water made them a touch spooky and they liked flies in the 16 to 22 range. I didn't do well with hoppers, even though real hoppers were all over the place. I saw nothing on the surface that the fish were rising to. Any small reasonable fly would likely be OK - there were no real strong hatches to match. Tricos would be fine in the morning on a trico stream - like Spring Ck/Oatka (don't know other trico streams in your area). I was teaching my daughter and boyfriend to fly fish and they had better luck with hackled flies and CDC midges. The fish took the flush floating flies well (spinners, foam ants and beetles), but the kids could follow a fly with something sticking up better (even down to 22 flies), which helped them hook up better. They couldn't see the flush floating flies.

The other approach (which got the bigger browns) was to use roughly 1" long streamers. Black nosed dace and white and chartreuse/white patterns worked well, although I don't think color was a big factor. There were tons of small baitfish in the shallows last week. Pulling a streamer from the shallows over a ledge commonly produced a waiting brown. Often, a big fish-eating brown will hold by a drop off waiting for a minnow to make the mistake of drifting away from the shallows over the deep water. If you see tons of bait fish in the shallows where you fish, consider a small streamer about the size of the fish you see.

For the lake run fish, spawn patterns or nymphs (gold ribbed hare's ear or olive soft hackled nymph are good ones - smaller steelhead patterns work in the FL tribs too) on the bottom works as well as buggers and streamers. Some traditionalists like classic Atlantic salmon flies for the landlocks.

Thread Information