Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Perfect Fly

For the sake of discussion, let's say that a 'perfect fly' existed. Further, by 'perfect' I mean just that. As long as you were fishing for trout it didn't matter what the water conditions were, it didn't matter what was hatching or the time of the season. As long as you presented this fly so that it could be seen by the trout, the trout would take it. Also, you can get as many of these flies for your own use as you want so you will never run out.

Now the question: How often or when (A - H) would you use this 'perfect fly' and for how long (I - L)?

A) Each fishing day.
    B) Once a trip if a trip was more than 1 day.
    C) Every so often.
    D) Once a season.
    E) On new water only.
    F) Only if I was alone.
    G) Only if I was with other fishers.
    H) Never.

I) For a few trout.
    J) Till I caught a BIG trout.
    K) For a short time.
    L) Until I got bored or tired.

Allan

Allan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Re: The Perfect Fly

i'd say F & J,

unless i have the option to use it on a tandem rig, the i'd keep it as my point fly at all times!

We're all out for that "big one" and although we (fly fishermen) always are eager to share flies with out pals, we always keep one to ourself

great question!
    Sean

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

It would ruin fly fishing for me. Period.

I would use it too often and get bored with fly fishing. Catching fish is only part of the fun of fly fishing. There is tying your own flies (with a perfect fly I would get bored tieing the same fly again and again and again), finding the fish, understanding what they are eating, what stage of insect they are eating, and then the presentation. Finally the hook up and battle to land and release the fish.

The perfect fly would take most of what I love about fly fishing away.

"That wasn't your fly... was it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Hi,

On the rare occasion when I do find the perfect fly for that day, I find that I catch a bunch of fish and then start to experiment to see "if they will take this too" or "does the color really matter?".

Jim

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I agree with you Jim. On the few days I really seem to know whats going on, I'll try and see what they won't take.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

I read somwhere once that hell for fly fishers is catching the perfect fish on every cast. Anyone know who said that?

Personally I would use it until I got bored. That might take a while or it might take an hour. You still have to present it properly, right? Maybe wind could make life interesting or someother factor. Fly selection is important but far from everything.

Tom

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    316 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts

Perfect Fly?
    Your description sounds a lot like "live bait".

I imagine that a fly that consistantly produced similar results would eventually get boring.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

My answer would be "H" since fly fishing would lose most of its allure and I would give it up. Studying the entomology of the waters we fish, learning the trout's habitiat, and creating, tying, and presenting patterns to deceive them are some of the factors that makes our sport so appealing as opposed to fishing bait or casting one or two types of lures all day, every day.

Once in a while I have those magical days where all of the above factors come together and I catch trout after trout with my "perfect fly" of the moment. The satisfaction and exhiliration I feel cannot be replaced, but I know that tomorrow I could get skunked using the same techniques.

Fortunately, the hypothetical "perfect fly" for anytime does not exist.

NJPB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Funny.... if it does get to easy I also try and feed fish something different. To learn something.

A different pattern of the same bug is often what I will do. Often if I'm catching fish on emergers I try a dun simply because I love to see a fish eat a dun... and on the Delaware more often than not I'm fishing stuff like emergers flat in the film.

Sometimes with friends we have a new kind of fishing contest... who can feed a fish the most outlandish flies.... Out comes Chernobyl Hoppers, mouse patterns and the like.

"That wasn't your fly... was it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by tompg View Post
    I read somwhere once that hell for fly fishers is catching the perfect fish on every cast. Anyone know who said that?

Personally I would use it until I got bored. That might take a while or it might take an hour. You still have to present it properly, right? Maybe wind could make life interesting or someother factor. Fly selection is important but far from everything.

Tom

It's the character Little Csar(his knickname) in the book by Charlie Fox, 'This Wonderful World of Trout'. When he dies he is taken to a beautiful stream where he catches the same exact looking trout on every cast. He's told that everything will always be the same. Same weather. Same stream. Same trout. He turns to his 'guide' and says something about changing the stream to be more challenging. His guide said, "You can go to the Devil" Caeser replies, "Who do you think you are talking like that up here"? "Nero", was the reply, "Satan's first sergeant."

Allan

Allan

Thread Information