Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Guides & questions

How many guides visit this site.

What do you offer your clients.

Do you make promises of catching plenty of fish?

Do you call your clients a day or two in advance to confirm the trip and do you offer refunds or reschedule your dates when the weather is inapropriate or water levels are too high or unsafe to wade.

Do you cook for your clients or is this a special request?

Do you take your clients too the hot spots where you know other fishemen will be.

How much breathing room do you give your clients from other anglers on the river.

If floating how far away from another floater or fishermen will you travel before allowing your client to fish?

Do you give them a history of the river or landmarks you may run across.

If fishing with a client and someone else tries to fish on top of you how do you handle the situation.

Do you identify insect that you see on the river that your clients may not be aware of.

What happens if your client catches zilch?

If your client asks you to fish with him do you?

How do you handle irate clients.

If your clients asks only for you to row the boat and not assist in anything how do you handle it.

If your not on a boat how do you handle the same situation?

Stimulan.

To the clients. What do you expect from your guide?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Pretty poignant questions. Are you thinking about being a guide?

Hyde Low Rider,
    Always keep your reel full of backing....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

We'll try to answer a few questions at a time...

First off, I don't float the river where I guide, ... not practical for a guide as we are usually after Atlantic Salmon.

>>What do you offer your clients. ??
    I offer anything from just putting them over fish to fournishing rods, flies, line, breakfast,lunch & supper, canoes for those who can't roll cast, casting lessons, entomology courses, habitat, life cycle info. Anything but booze.

In my kit bag you'll find references on birds, insects, fish, salmon, forestry, habitat rehab ...

>> Do you make promises of catching plenty of fish?

Never

>> Do you call your clients a day or two in advance to confirm the trip and do you offer refunds or reschedule your dates when the weather is inapropriate or water levels are too high or unsafe to wade?

I ALWAYS contact clients a few days in advance to make sure that everthing is on and the make sure we all know what to expect from each other.

The politic on the Ste-Marguerite river is that there are no refunds, but the full amount of the deposit is applicable to any other day in the future.

>> Do you give them a history of the river or landmarks you may run across.?

Usually, but it depends on the client ... Sometimes (rarely) they just want some quiet and don't want a know-it-all blabbering all day long.

>> If your client asks you to fish with him do you?

GOOD QUESTION... for trout I will usually, but not TO FISH, usually just to be able to show them some tricks. For Salmon, NEVER, I'll always decline. Guiding for Atlantics isn't the same as for trout. For Trout I can stay on a clients left shoulder. For Atlantics, I want to be in a spot where I can see the fly.

>>What happens if your client catches zilch?

Nothing, ... part of the game. Salmon fishermen "expect" to get skunked ... Trout is different, but then again, the clients up here know that brook trout don't get to be 7 lbs by being dumb.

>>How much breathing room do you give your clients from other anglers on the river.?

We all fish on rotation here, either 15 minutes in a hole or down streaming in line. You don't get priviledges because your with a guide. We will usually scope out some pools where ther ARE salmon and fewer regulars.

------------------------------------

Don't want this to be too long, so we'll cut this short there.

My 0.02$

Chris Chin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Thanks fcch. Any others out there? no other guides visit this site i guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Is it bad form to ask your guide to fish? I am curious. I usually do if I have had a really great day or it's the end of a really tough day. I figure I need to see if he can work a little magic.

I have personally enjoined watching how much fun the guide has by catching a couple after busting his butt all day. I've been fortunate to have had guides lately who just love it so much that it put a smile on my face to watch them catch a couple of tough fish at the end of a day. Just my .02

"Not all those who wander are lost."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

OMC,

It isn't bad form to ask the Guide if they want to fish. As I mentionned, if we're after Atlantics, I usually graciously decline. The clients don't take this hard, they see it as a sign of respect as it's very difficult to effectively guide a client for salmon from his shoulder.

The river where I spend most of my time is a controlled secteur so that means it'll cost about 50.00$ USD surplus to the client if they would like the guide to even touch a rod.

I figure it's not fair to have someone lay out this kind of cash just so's I can show them a few tricks. In the cases where the client REALLY needs for me to hands on show them the ropes, we'll change zones to a place where I can fish for free.

This underlines the importance of *communication* between guide and client BEFORE heading out (and even befor booking).

A guide must give an honest evaluation of the chances to hookup as well as his or her perspective on the difficulties and opportunities that can/will be encountered on a given day. I'll re-confirm these observation 2-3 days before the specified booking to make sure we don't need to ajust the itinerary or modalities.

On the other hand, the clients should be honest in their abilities and expectations. I've seen clients (mostly the continental French and Italians) who "claim" to be in it for the "experience", then get all pumped up because they didn't connect with a bruiser.

I guide for the fun, not for the money (well, it does help pay for toys). I like showing newcomers around the river here in the hope that they become friends and that they will come back.

My 0.03$

Chris Chin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Stimulan

I am only a part-time guide but do visit the boards like this frequently. Although I don't usually like to post anything because it is somewhat frowned upon and some view it as marketing. However I wanted to address your question.

I think what fcch presented in his first post is the norm. I myself believe in giving my clients a quality experience whether we catch fish or don't. You can't predict mother nature and you certainly can't make the fish take your fly. There are things you can do to increase your chances and this is what I try to do with my clients.
    My goal is it to provide an experience that is enjoyable to my guests, teach some new fishing techniques, perfect some casting flaws, or show them some different fly patterns. I also like to discuss aquatic life present in the stream and educate my guests about the wildlife, heritage and any issues affecting the fishery.

Dont get me wrong, the whole idea of hiring a guide is to catch fish, but there are some days where everything is against you and it just may not happen. It is those days where I hope my clients come away with something they can use when fishing on their own.

I hope I answered your questions

Dean
    Fly Fish PA, LLC
    www.flyfishpa.net

Dean
    Fly Fish PA, LLC
    http://www.flyfishpa.net

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Dean

Please dont feel that way.I dont think anyone here will frown upon a guide sharing his knowledge!

Joe.t

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Ditto for me Dean. Please post up. We all stand to learn something new!

"That wasn't your fly... was it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

As things are winding down up here, we're starting to get lots of inquiries for next season.

I'm bringing this thread back up to the surface to spawn a few thoughts for y'all who're starting to look into next season's trips.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Hi,

A perspective from both sides of the oars.

When I go fishing with a guide, I usually ask them to fish. Fishing from a boat it is usually clients fishing only. If we get out to fish I want to make sure they know how I feel. Show me what to use and where to fish and then I expect them to fish too. I would say about half the guides I offer to let them fish, actually do.

I have not asked bonefish guides to fish, but I have also not a had a really nice day of bonefishing. We are always working from a boat and working hard to get 4 or 5 fish. I want to catch them myself!!! If we were out wading and there were lots of opportunities, I would probably ask the guide if they wanted to fish.

From a Delaware guides point of view. When some one askd me to fish, I have always said, "let's get you some fish first and then maybe I will catch a few too." It never fails that when the fishing is good, we are concentrating on catching a big fish that we forget about me fishing. I get nearly as much thrill out of teaching and guiding a client to a fish, than catching it myself.
    To me teaching is very rewarding too.

Jim

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Originally posted by Big_Spinner
    Fishing from a boat it is usually clients fishing only. If we get out to fish I want to make sure they know how I feel.
    There's a risk any time you get outta the boat.

"Never get outta the boat, I gotta remember, never get outta the boat!"
    Never get outta the boat...

Thread Information