Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Orvis Trident 9' 5wt 4 piece

How does my Trient 9'5wt4 peice rod that I purchased two years ago compare in performance to some of the newer Orvis and Sage rods on the market ?

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 13 Times in 12 Posts

One man's junk is another mans treasure. Get out there and try a few different rods.

The best way to purchase a rod is to try a few out until you find one you really like. Any reputable shop will allow you to try before you buy.

I've never been a big Orvis Rod fan. I've tested many rods that have outperformed Orvis, but that's just my style. Orvis rods may perform more to your liking. The Somerset fly fishing show is only a few mnths away. You should get out there, you'll be able to try 100's of different rods out!

Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 9' 4 wt trident 4 piece. Though I don't use it often because I have a 3 and 5 wt T&T's which always seem to fit the situation better, I still enjoy the rod.

I actually had the midflex version for the past 6 years and lost the tip while fishing. Orvis true to their guarantee not only replace the tip but the whole rod this spring. They accidently sent the tip flex version, a faster rod. I really think it casts well.

I think the weight, (how heavy it feels in my hand, not line wt) is similar to the T&T which is not a super light rod. I agree with Dennis, you need to cast. If you are just starting out, a slower (more flexible rod) is more forgiving. Some people just like slower rods.

Sage is a western brand where wind is ALWAYS a factor. Therefore, their rods tend to be faster. In the east, on a small stream, that could mean more difficulty loading the rod on shorter presentations.

What type of caster, skill level are you. It may be helpful for those giving you info?

"Not all those who wander are lost."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

I once asked that question to Jim Serio a Delaware sytem guide, and based on a one to ten,ten being best, he said I start out about an eight but as the day goes on and I get tired slip to six.
    By the way my rod is a tip flex.

North Jersey

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I have two rods, an Orvis Silver Series TL 8 1/2 foot 5wt and a Loomis GLX 7 1/2 foot 4 wt. The Orvis rod is very stiff and casts like a 6wt. My experience is that Orvis under-rates their rods when it comes to line weight. The GLX is an amazing rod. Even in the wind today, I had no problems casting and it's very responsive. I'd recommend it in a second. Not cheap though...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I know what you mean about the casting. I start out a 7 or 8, then I see that first big fish and then I'll be a two, plus have have the line wrapped all around me or the leader gets into a knot etc etc etc.........you know what I mean.

"Not all those who wander are lost."

Thread Information