Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    134 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Talking December Fly Swap

Hello Every One:

Since it was kicked around here on NJFlyfishing, I thought it was only appropriate to have the next swap themed "CATSKILL STYLE FLY's" only. The swap will be open to thirteen Tyers. Sign-up deadline for this swap will be Friday November 7, 2003. Flies will be due to me no later than Friday December 12, 2003. I will post my mailing address to all after the sign-up date closes or the swap fills up first. This will mean if the swap is full each tyer will have to tye 12 Catskill style flys, pattern of thier choice. Please let me know what you are planning to tye when signing up. If you do not know at the sign-up time that's OK. Just get back to me in a reasonable amount of time.

1) Andy B (swapmiester) tying Pale Evening Duns

There are only 12 spots left open for this swap.

Thank You

Andy B

Similar Threads:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Good luck with it Andy, should be pretty interesting. Hope Mayfly (Allan Podell) enters. He ties a pretty mean Catskill style dry fly. I wish you had been at the CFFC&M a few Sat. back when Tom Mason (of the CFTG) tyed. He did a Light Cahill that would mess you up, if your into the "Real Deal" Catskill style dry fly. This thing is as identical to the fly on the cover of Rube Cross's book as anything you will ever see. A TRUE example of what a "REAL" Catskill dry fly is supposed to look like, the way they were ORIGINALLY tyed, (incredably sparse). Three turns under the tail, two with bare thread and one with dubbing, and a minimum of one eye length of bare hook in front (of the head) for the Turle knot. Fortunately you CAN see this fly. It's in my gallery, he he he. So "come on down." mark

Mark J. Romero
    www.fudr.org
    607-498-9944
    M&M Fly Fishing
    JazzMark Gallery
    94 Yorktown Road
    Roscoe, N.Y. 12776-5017

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Cool

By the way, i won't be able to get into this new swap. I'm just to tyed up with this Christmas Swap over at VFB web-site. I HAVE to get them done in time to make it to England on time. This swapmiester sends back any late flies, he don't play. And i have no problem with that. I'll catch you on another swap next year. mark(willow)

Mark J. Romero
    www.fudr.org
    607-498-9944
    M&M Fly Fishing
    JazzMark Gallery
    94 Yorktown Road
    Roscoe, N.Y. 12776-5017

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

ANDY,

Would Art Flick's Varients (ie no wings) be considered traditional Catskill flies? I have a hell of a time with wood duck split uprights. I tie and fish them but I wouldn't feel comfortable swapping them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    134 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Gary:

Thanks for responding. No that pattern does'nt cut it. How about trying some Blue Winged Olives. Part of the swaps is to tye and learn. I feel that if you don't just keep tying and trying, you will never learn. I am self taught. I would say enter the swap. You will not be the first beginner or little better than beginner. The swap is to be fun for this board as well as tying new things. If you need a hand with some tying, just ask. We can arrange a time to meet and tye. Or we can meet one Saturday or Sunday at the Gorge and do a little stream side tying and then go fishing.

Andy B

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    543 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 13 Times in 12 Posts

Andy,

I agree. The swaps unless stated so should not be a challenge or a contest to see who's better than who. Of course, that can be an option for another swap, and as long as it's all in fun, I don't see an issue with it.

Pick a fly and have the users vote on who tied the nicest one (in a friendly way of course).

Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

Thread Information