Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 13 Times in 12 Posts

Fly fishing clowns

River Etiquitte.

Here's a tip that I think someone else posted before. I think most of you know this, but I must elaborate.

River respect is one of the things that make us all better fishemen no matter what form of tackle you're using. If you see a fisherman working a pool, there is no reason to trample in on his parade.

The other day while fishing the KLG, I was working on a few rising fish in the pool slightly downstream from the trestle. A flyfisherman started fishing upstream and across the river from me about 20 feet upstream. For a place like the KLG, I think we can consider this somewhat acceptable. There were fish jumping out of the water just about everywhere. After a few minutes, this guy walks directly across from me in the pool I was fishing in. I said to the guy, "You're not going to walk right through this pool, are you?" And the guy shrugged his shoulders as if to say, "tough sh!t, what would you like me to do." And he proceeded to swash right through the pool I was fishing. I said to him, "You can always tell who the beginners are." And he shrugged again. This guy had the "I don't care about anyone but me" attitude. What's with these people. All he had to do was walk up onto the bank directly behind him where there is an obvious path.

Please, if you see someone working a pool, find another way to get to where you're going if possible. If it's not possible, at least have the decency to ask if you can inturrupt or even better yet, wait.

Anyway, I said to the guy, "You probably haven't caught a fish all day." About 5 minutes later, the guy caught 2 fish downstream from me. He was using dry's with a dropper. I wanted to say to him something to the effect of, "Any can catch a fish with a bobber." After all, the dry on the top is an indicator in disguise.

The Gorge is off limits to me for a while, at least until I can face the reality that it's not going to change anytime soon.

Similar Threads:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Trout Stress

Another problem with anglers (even fly-fisherpeople) is they insist on fighting the fish until they're completely exhausted. Just the other day I watched a guy fight a rainbow to near death, then takes the fish out and man handles it and causually tosses it back in because it came up too short on his tape measure. For the love of Pete! Have some consideration! What that guy did -at any point in the year- is good enough to kill the fish and its the middle of summer! Ya gotta love our society where the motto seems to be: I got the money to buy the "best" "brand name" equipment out there and that makes me an "expert."

The truth is - you don't have to be an expert to be a goodsportsman... Just some common sense... Too bad common sense seems to be in short supply these days

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

hahahahaha... I know exactly what you mean. I was on the Beaverkill (Cairns Pool) one day last year and I'm watching this guy fight a 12" trout. This guy had the Federations of Fly fishers patch as well as a TU Patch plastered onto his vest. A real professional, right! He takes the fish out of the water and holds it up to his face while squeezing the life out of it and dug into the fish's mouth with his pliers to get the fly out. Amazing! So I said to the guy (because I was a bit aggravated at what he just did) "Excuse me, you, as a TU member should know better than to do what you just did." He shrugged his shoulders at me then moved slightly upstream. Wouldn't you know, every fish he caught after that he turned his back on me so I couldn't see what he was doing, but he did bend over and kept the fish closer to the water. I'm sure he still squeezed as hard as he could.

Thread Information