Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Caddis Pupa

My usual go to caddis pupa is the lafontaine sparkle pupa. the other day i fished with a pattern a friend gave me, caught a lot of wild browns and promptly lost it. it was a pattern he got from someone else. I haven't been able to track down a recipe that's similar. It was a cream pupa with "horns" sort of like al's lace caddis pupa, but not as complicated. I'm thinking about trying the poopah as an alternative, but I was hoping people on here might offer some caddis pupa suggestions. Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    388 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts

Re: Caddis Pupa

I have had good luck with the Fox's poopah. It's hard to fish wrong. Otherwise, a soft hackle with a tan body and a brown head or thorax depending on how you like to tie them does OK for me.

BTW, Sunday June 10 I helped with a macroinvertebrate sample on the upper Whippany. Tons of mayflies, but they are all about a size 26 now. They were actively swimming for a few seconds, pausing, and swimming again. The bigger items on the menu were mostly green and a few orange caddis larvae. For the first time we netted a few caddis pupa. Ungainly looking things and they seemed to be working hard to emerge and weren't moving very fast. Also quite a few large golden stones - maybe the biggest insect group by aggregate weight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Caddis Pupa

I walked out my front door in Skillman the other day and looked down to see a large brown stone dying on the slate. Never seen one around mercer county before. It had a yellow belly. I assume that's a golden stone. Do you think it came out of the stony brook?

Thread Information