Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Two-piece Fly tubes on plane

Advice needed,

For lack of adequate travel rods, is it appropriate to carry your two piece rod tubes on the plane, or tag it for the luggage compartment below? What's worked for many of you?

Mike Ulrichs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Re: Two-piece Fly tubes on plane

Quote Originally Posted by UlrichsM View Post
    Advice needed,

For lack of adequate travel rods, is it appropriate to carry your two piece rod tubes on the plane, or tag it for the luggage compartment below? What's worked for many of you?
    I never let it leave my hands. If you have to take a a smaller plane where it doesn't fit in the overhead I will gate check it and pick it up when I depart the plane.

Never loose touch of your Rod!

GBS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I'd only check a two- piece fly rod if the tube was made out of reinforced concrete, the rod was cheap enough that I wouldn't mind losing it, and I knew I could buy another rod to replace the shards left over from the gorrilla baggage handlers. There have been known to be competitions between airports for safe baggage handling... Unfortunately, that often means sabbotage for the handlers opening the bay doors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I've had trouble getting through security with aluminum rod tubes, multiple times. They don't have any issue with the rod, but security has told me that the tube can be used as a weapon. They have always let me on the plane with the tube, but it has been a hassle.

Highlands Ranch, Co, formerly South Orange, NJ
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

You will not be able to board with a 2pc fly rod tube, it's too long (thanks, 9/11 and home security act). You might get lucky and bring along your 4pc fly rod tube, but they will have your 2pc tube going to be checked in. I have just for that a big sturdy big a... Flambeau Rod Tube carrier. Supposedly as solid as concrete...

What you could do is to send your 2pc fly rod by FEDEX or UPS ahead to the destination. I believe one of the fly fishing magazines published an article on the whole travel odyssee last year (sorry, can't remember which magazine, though).

You also might want to contact directly the airline or travel agent. If you booked through a fly fishing destination travel agent, they will be able to give you good advice.

Hope that helps! -K

Live long and fly fish
    Visit my blog Tenkara On The Fly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I took my two piece rod tube on the plane. I travel a lot (for work) and it all depens on who you get at security the gate and the plane steward"preson" (if it's to big for the over head ask the attendent to place it in the coat cubby/closet), small airports are more understanding. I've opted to buy a travel rod, for less headaches. I know that doesn't help you now. Good luck.
    Bart

Just one more cast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Karel View Post
    You will not be able to board with a 2pc fly rod tube, it's too long (thanks, 9/11 and home security act).
    You also might want to contact directly the airline or travel agent. If you booked through a fly fishing destination travel agent, they will be able to give you good advice.

Hope that helps! -K

You are Wrong..... It doesn't help a bit..

GBS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Having worked as a baggage handler for an airline and later as a Fedex courier, I can say you are pretty safe using one of the big Flambeau rod holders. They are big enough so that you can put the fly tube inside the Flambeau, and they can be secured with a small padlock. I took my rods on about ten trips using one without any problems. You always run the risk of having the tube get lost if you have a connecting flight. I always took care of any rod tubes that I handled, as I feel it's bad luck to mess with anyone's rods. I have friends that would pack all their gear except the rods and Fedex it off. They always traveled with the rods. You can also purchase extra insurance with Fedex or at the ticket counter if flying.

Jack

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I traveled to Florida last summer, bringing my 2pc rod in the alum tube as I always did. I was stoped at the gate and told I could not bring it on board, even if I opened it to show the contents. They said it was a weapon. Out of desparation I checked it in.
    I arrived in Florida but my rod did not. Two hours I spent trying to locate it. They even went back on board to look. Not there.
    The lost luggage mang. told me 50% of rods flying in tubes as luggage are lost. 50% of those are never found.(check for them on E-bay). It seems the shape makes them prone to falling off the transport equiptment.(and into greedy hands, if you ask me.) I was lucky, 3 days later it was shipped to my condo.
    I mailed it back home. You can smash it in a car door and they,ll replace it. But stolen or lost and your screwed.
    They need to make clearer rules for this type of carry on.

Thread Information