Thanked in
    494 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

Tippet Material of Choice?

I'm curious to know what tippet materials you've tried and have
    possibly compared with others. I've been using the Orvis stuff for
    years and have been completely satisfied. This past year, I switched to the new Orvis Material and I think it's great but, there's gotta be better.

Speaking with a friend recently, he mentioned he only uses the Mirage Chamelion. Al Caucci I believe usies Rio and I think the folks in the Catskill fly shop also use Rio.

I picked up a few rolls of Varivas tippet material, and the stuff in
    my opinion is Crappola.

Here is the scenario; You're fishing a 5wt med/fast action rod for wild browns and bows in your favorite trout stream. Before leaving for the stream, you have the following spools in front of you... Which do you pick up when you walk out the door and why? Multiple choice is acceptable, but if you choose more than one, please state your reason(s).

Orvis
    Rio
    Cortland
    Umpqua
    Frog Hair
    Dai Riki
    PowerFlex
    Airflo
    Loop
    Mirage
    Climax
    Varivas
    Other

DennisC.

Similar Threads:
    Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

None of the above.... I like Seaguar Grand Max Flourocarbon. Extremely stong for diameter and supple to reduce drag. It's also a bit more strechy. The downside to this material is that it can pig tail and you do need to be careful with knots. Need triple surgeon as opposed to double otherwise it can break when it shouldn't.

Note that I only use Flourocarbon for my tippet or very end of leader (I hand tie mine). Fluorcarbon sinks and as I fish 80% dry flies a whole leader of Flurocarbon is not optimal (not to mention the stuffs expensive). BTW... it's also not environmentally sound as Flurocarbon takes much longer to degrade.

"That wasn't your fly... was it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I use Segaur as well but need to be very careful about
    setting the knot, had one slip on a big D rainbow, wasn't
    happy. Have tried the Rio and like it for nymphing. For streamers
    I use 2X fluoro as well.
    How do you dispose of the excess tippet material? I put my
    wasted tippet into the zippered pouch on my waders.

"If the trout are lost smash the state"
    Tom McGuane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I like to fish w/light tippet, but I general need the stronger line for the diameter (I seldom fight the fish for more than 5 min ... Like My fishing buddies say, 'I put alot of faith into the tippet')

For my 5x,6x, & 8x I use Seaguar Grand Max Fluorocarbon, but for my 7x (which I use the most of) I use orvis mirage.

I haven't been disappointed with Seaguar or the Mirage, so I don't really test out the other brands (If It's not broke, don't fix it )

As for disposal, It goes in my wader's pouch or the plastic bag I bring to the stream to clean other people's !@#!@#!@# stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I use mostly Orvis tippets...and haven't really had a complaint....I tried frogs hair it doesn't do anything special for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I guess I'm in the minority.

I like Maxima material (Chameleon). Use it for the leader (I tie mine) as well as the tippet. Mostly like it because it's so stiff (versus the stuff y'all seem to prefer, then again, I'm usually after larger fish using larger flies (sorry that's not quite in line with the actually scenario of the poll.

... my 0.02 $

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Re: Tippet Material of Choice?

For the past two years I have been using Cableas leaders and tippit made by climax. This year I am trying Frog Hair.

AP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    321 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Depending if I'm fishing salt or fresh water, my tippet material can be any of: Orvis Super Strong, Orvis Mirage, Segaur, Ande, Canadian Wire (Maxima)

"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

www.FlyFishTheDelaware.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    385 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts

Maxima is great for building a butt section or for tippet for heavy flies since it is stiff. Also use a stiffer tippet for droppers for traditional wet flies to keep the flies from tangling.

For tippet I have been going back and forth between Varivas, Rio, and Orvis. The good and bad thing about Varivas is that it is very soft. I use it mostly for midges and tricos when a very soft tippet is needed to get a good drift. Most of the time I use Orvis or Rio and don't see a huge difference.

I am not keen on fluorocarbon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

Do you use the fluoro for drys also? I was thinking of picking some up for streamer/nymph fishing since they say it sinks. How does it work for drys?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    385 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts

I have one more question. I saw Charles Jardine at the Somerset Show and he claimed one difference between Americans and English is that the English generally rub their tippets with mud to take off the gloss and that is more important than the mono/fluoro debate for low visibility. Made sense to me and I will try it this year. Does anyone here have a view on this?

I am also on the fence about using different tippet materials. For years I did the AKS approach of only using one brand for familiarity and consistency. Now I am trending towards different stiffness leader materials to get a nice stiff butt with a soft tippet with varying degrees of "softness" for the conditions. Each approach has its pluses and minuses and I don't have a strong opinion except I like to use very soft tippets for small spinners on flat water.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by JeffK View Post
    I have one more question. I saw Charles Jardine at the Somerset Show and he claimed one difference between Americans and English is that the English generally rub their tippets with mud to take off the gloss and that is more important than the mono/fluoro debate for low visibility. Made sense to me and I will try it this year. Does anyone here have a view on this?
    I have also heard of de-glossing, but in the context of removing the chemical coating and thereby the floatability of tippet and leader material so it drops into the film. Floatant is applied only to the line and fly. The theory being that tippet floating on top of the surface is garishly obvious to the trout.

So, Jeff, was that the same concept as what Jardine was talking about? I don't really have a view on it without any personal experience or knowledge, but I'm interested in what the more learned folk here have to say, too.