Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Tippet Material of Choice?

I use frog hair (gamma) and i used to use Climax (now Cortland?). I agree that the Varivas is very soft- good for tippet in certain situations but not for the whole leader. When I nymph I tie my own leaders with suffix flouro and frog hair tippet (flouro). I never use flouro for dries. Out of curiosity and other than an Orvis shop, have you ever seen a shop endorse anything other than Rio? O can't remember the last time. I have a feeling that the reps are comping this stuff to shops (because it is the cheapest thing that most manufacturers make). Any thoughts on this?
    AZ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by azcat1 View Post
    . Out of curiosity and other than an Orvis shop, have you ever seen a shop endorse anything other than Rio? O can't remember the last time. I have a feeling that the reps are comping this stuff to shops (because it is the cheapest thing that most manufacturers make). Any thoughts on this?
    AZ
    Rio isn't comped any more or cheaper than other leaders/tippets. Most shops endorse Rio simply because it's a great product. Rio markets extremely well and stays on the cutting edge. They make top notch products from saltwater lines down to 9x fluoro.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    371 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

Since I fish almost completely in a vacuum (till I joined this site), and being a scientist, he mud thing is something I came up with on my own. I tried rubbing it on the last couple of inches before the fly to try and make that section sink, since it just did not look right in flat water, seeing line on the surface going all the way to the fly. Does not really work too well for me though. I consulted the experts at the local shop to see if I could buy something that makes the end sink, and they told me that I'm just being anal, and that it does not really matter. Reading some of these posts though, it sounds like it does, and logically, it makes sense to at least have that last couple of inches sink. Fluoro would achieve this, but will 12 inches of fluoro drag the fly under, or is buying some sinking gink a better approach?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    301 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts

Re: "De-glossing", "mud thing" & etc.

Roughing up a leader will allow mud, algae, pond scum, and whatever (ie dirt), to accumulate in the "scratches" and break the surface tension.

I first noticed this while using a old beat-up leader. Later, I read about it in a magazine.

Be cautious with light tippets. It will affect the breaking strength.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

A wise old man once told me, and it was at the NJ Flyfishing Show many years ago, when fishing drys, put sink on the tippet from the fly to the first knot in the leader (12"-24"), to sink the tippet. I've been doing so ever since.

Always looking for another edge over that wary trout.

Cdog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    321 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Trout Nazi View Post
    ...will 12 inches of fluoro drag the fly under...
    No, it won't.

"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

www.FlyFishTheDelaware.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    384 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts

The fluoro sinking thing is a little overdone in my mind. The specific gravity of PVDF (the material used for fluoro tippet) is 1.7 and the specific gravity of nylon is about 1.07. On one hand the difference is great, but both are light compared to surface tension for fine tippets and need to be wet to sink. Once wet the sinking speed of either is very, very slow and I don't see much difference when actually fishing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Montauklax View Post
    Rio isn't comped any more or cheaper than other leaders/tippets. Most shops endorse Rio simply because it's a great product. Rio markets extremely well and stays on the cutting edge. They make top notch products from saltwater lines down to 9x fluoro.
    thanks Montauklax. I don't get into too many shops but it just appeared weird to me so I'm glad to hear your reply.
    AZ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    371 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

I'll probably go with some sinking-gink type stuff to coat the first few inches of the leader instead of investing heavily in fluoro. The mud has not been working, maybe I'm not scoring the material enough to break surface tension. I may give fluoro a shot for some heavier streamer leaders though. Thanks for the tips.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

never heard of the Mud Treatment..Will have to try it...

I have tried different stiffness on my leaders and it works well with some nymph and wet fly rigs but you shoulduse a uniform stiffness for dry flies or you will affect the turnover of the leader..

I have also used Flouro with dries and didnt notice much of a difference in the floatability but did in the turnover, which kinda relates to what I was saying above...

Just my 2 cents..Try it, it may work for you or the situation...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by JeffK View Post
    I have one more question. I saw Charles Jardine at the Somerset Show and he claimed one difference between Americans and English is that the English generally rub their tippets with mud to take off the gloss and that is more important than the mono/fluoro debate for low visibility.
    Brits, like Oliver Edwards, use Fuller's Earth to degloss their nylon leaders. He fishes wets, spiders and czech nymphs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 5 Times in 5 Posts

frog hair frog hair frog hair ever since i started using it i will use no other. From 6 @8 lb fluro for steelhead to the 7x for trout nothing beats it only wish they made an 8x in fluro but i have fooled many of trout with the regular.