Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Shad Flies...doing something wrong?

Went shad fishing with the flyrod yesterday caught nothing. The shad were there because my friend caught 2 on the spinning rod. One on a shad dart the other on the flutterspoon.

I was using shad flies that are similar to a fluterspoon with a shorter shank and tinsel around the shank. The action of the flutterspoon on the spinning rod with a shad dart about 12-18 inches up is dynamic. The shad flies did not "flutter" anywhere near as much. I tried putting a splitshot 12" up the leader. Still the action was not like the flutter spoon on the spinning rod.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there another way to rig my 9' 9weight for shad?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Re: Shad Flies...doing something wrong?

some days I will cast a 1000 casts and no shad,other days its non-stop. You gotta hit the pocket perfect and have flawless presentation or they just wont hit. I use a 9wt with full sink tip and a 24" peice of 8lb mono for a leader. I shorten of lengthen the leader peice according to the depth I get the first strike at. Pay close attention to the amount of string and where it was when the first strike occurs the try to duplicate..over and over again till your arms burn!!! Shad fishing isnt that cool...alot of work just to get skunked most of the time.
    DTT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

The question is why are the shad flies so much less animated than a flutter spoon on a flutter spoon/shad dart combination on a spinning rod?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Blue Dun,

First off, your friend landed a few shad but it does not seem that it was "lights out fishing" You can have 30 to 60 fish days between two people when everything is just right. But when it is slow (I was out Saturday in Milford and only managed a few as well), you can expect to work for them. You must get your rig close to the bottom. I start with a 250 grain sink tip line and go heavier as dictated. Don't get caught up with the flies. A shad is a large herring and not nearly as sophisticated as a trout (IMHO). I have never gotten caught up in making a "perfect" presentation. Just get the fly to the optimal depth and strip or swing. As far as some recipes, I like a size 12 hook, pearl crystal flash tails, A few clear/silver glass beads for a body, and a large red brass bead for a head. Flutter spoons work, but so do shad darts; have you ever looked at those things ? Not too fishy looking are they ? They are actually a VERY cheap version to catch shad. When the bite is on they are VERY AGRESSIVE. Tie on a 2/0 plain gold hook, add split shot and see what happens (yes they will hit it). Next time try using a sink tip and some flashy flies, no need to get carried away with crazy patterns. If you are still hung up on flutter spoons, they are very light, just tie one to the end of your tippet and use them, they cast fine with a 6 wt. To sum it up, you were probably not doing anything wrong, just a slow day on the mid D.

Eleven Hundred men went in the water; 316 men come out and the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945. Anyway we delivered the bomb.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Blue Dun,
    I am no pro, but what I tied for the Shad was a Hot pink Clouser on a #8 hook. This worked on Friday and Saturday nite. Friday was my first attempt at Shad with the flyrod and it worked out well. All I did was use some pink Marabou for the tail, pink chenille and Red lead eyes(small). Friday I caught 8 Shad and Saturday I caught 9 Shad. and lost 5. I fished from 6:00pm to 8:30pm. I am planning on going out today after work If you want to meet up with me you can call me at work 973-724-5884, If Im not at my desk just leave me a v-mail and i'll get back to you. If I don't hear back from you Good Luck..

Erik

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by darthwader View Post
    Blue Dun,

First off, your friend landed a few shad but it does not seem that it was "lights out fishing" You can have 30 to 60 fish days between two people when everything is just right. But when it is slow (I was out Saturday in Milford and only managed a few as well), you can expect to work for them. You must get your rig close to the bottom. I start with a 250 grain sink tip line and go heavier as dictated. Don't get caught up with the flies. A shad is a large herring and not nearly as sophisticated as a trout (IMHO). I have never gotten caught up in making a "perfect" presentation. Just get the fly to the optimal depth and strip or swing. As far as some recipes, I like a size 12 hook, pearl crystal flash tails, A few clear/silver glass beads for a body, and a large red brass bead for a head. Flutter spoons work, but so do shad darts; have you ever looked at those things ? Not too fishy looking are they ? They are actually a VERY cheap version to catch shad. When the bite is on they are VERY AGRESSIVE. Tie on a 2/0 plain gold hook, add split shot and see what happens (yes they will hit it). Next time try using a sink tip and some flashy flies, no need to get carried away with crazy patterns. If you are still hung up on flutter spoons, they are very light, just tie one to the end of your tippet and use them, they cast fine with a 6 wt. To sum it up, you were probably not doing anything wrong, just a slow day on the mid D.
    I was using 9wt sinking line with a short 12lb test leader

I have caught many shad using a spinning rod with the shad dart/flutter spoon combination. This was my first time with the fly rod. The river was deeper than expected so I couldn't wade out enough to get a back cast that would allow me to cast across the current the way I would have liked

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Blue Dun,
    I am no pro, but what I tied for the Shad was a Hot pink Clouser on a #8 hook. This worked on Friday and Saturday nite. Friday was my first attempt at Shad with the flyrod and it worked out well. All I did was use some pink Marabou for the tail, pink chenille and Red lead eyes(small). Friday I caught 8 Shad and Saturday I caught 9 Shad. and lost 5. I fished from 6:00pm to 8:30pm. I am planning on going out today after work If you want to meet up with me you can call me at work 973-724-5884, If Im not at my desk just leave me a v-mail and i'll get back to you. If I don't hear back from you Good Luck..

Erik

I don't think I have any clousers that small...I will try to get some next time.

I just saw this post now. I have a spot upstream from milford that has always produced well with the spinning rod. perhaps we could go there sometime.

Thread Information