Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    534 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 13 Times in 12 Posts

Buying flies / types of flies / etc...

It's been a while since I've done this but I was thinking of giving it another whirl.

What is the overall feeling of purchasing flies from this site?

If you did decide that it's a good idea, what patterns would you like to see carried? If you have pictures or links to pictures, please post them.

Thanks for the input.

Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Buying flies / types of flies / etc...

Quote Originally Posted by dcabarle View Post
    It's been a while since I've done this but I was thinking of giving it another whirl.

What is the overall feeling of purchasing flies from this site?

If you did decide that it's a good idea, what patterns would you like to see carried? If you have pictures or links to pictures, please post them.

Thanks for the input.
    Great idea.

My suggestions: Caddis Larva, Mayfly emergers.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    534 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Preference in materials would be really helpfull too. CDC vs. Hackle... Truform style flies, etc...

Different emergers are tied with different materials CDC wing vs. Deer hair...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Sparkle pupa and deep sparkle pupa in various sizes and colors. Not the comercialy tied ones but the TRUE 30 step sparkle pupa.

Any Rene Harrop flys...

Dons Sculpin

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    534 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by theartoflee View Post
    Sparkle pupa and deep sparkle pupa in various sizes and colors. Not the comercialy tied ones but the TRUE 30 step sparkle pupa.

Any Rene Harrop flys...

Dons Sculpin
    Unfortunately, the idea here is to make a few extra bux. Carrying Rene Harrops flies will run the site into the curbside then when we're down, we'll be run over by a bus. Harrops flies are nice but I can't afford them at $2.25 a pop. Not only that but they really aren't worth $2.25 a pop. Maybe .75 cents. Really think about what you're getting (ducks ass feathers tied onto a metal hook with some thread).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Any Rene Harrop flys...

Dons Sculpin
    Unfortunately, the idea here is to make a few extra bux. Carrying Rene Harrops flies will run the site into the curbside then when we're down, we'll be run over by a bus. Harrops flies are nice but I can't afford them at $2.25 a pop. Not only that but they really aren't worth $2.25 a pop. Maybe .75 cents. Really think about what you're getting (ducks ass feathers tied onto a metal hook with some thread).
    Thats fine dennis maybe you should put up poll asking how much all are willing to pay for a fly. Perhaps this site has a market for premium flys at a premium price.

I would be much more likely to purchase non commercially tied flys then shwag flys.

But that is just me

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    534 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Any Rene Harrop flys...

Dons Sculpin
    Thats fine dennis maybe you should put up poll asking how much all are willing to pay for a fly. Perhaps this site has a market for premium flys at a premium price.

I would be much more likely to purchase non commercially tied flys then shwag flys.

But that is just me
    Shwag flies? Who said anything about Shwag flies? Give me a little credit. You've got me coined as a crook and I'm just looking for opinions. I have to tell yah too... Any fly that I've ever sold on this site was checked (Each and every fly) before it went out to a customer... I never just stuck my hands into a box and pulled out any old flies to sell to people. I made sure they were intact, one by one. Hand selected them myself. In other words, if I wouldn't put it in my box, It went to charity.

I'm not looking to sell flies that are going to fall apart after a few casts.

If you want Harrop flies, call trouthunter. I'm not interested in selling them unless I could get them for the right price without having to order 400 dozen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I`d have to say that if we wanted cheap flies,ebay has all you want. If I was buying flies from this site,I expect quality,and have always paid for quality.
    DTT

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    534 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by davethetrout View Post
    I`d have to say that if we wanted cheap flies,ebay has all you want. If I was buying flies from this site,I expect quality,and have always paid for quality.
    DTT
    Again... I'd have to say that I'm not looking to sell low quality flies. Seriously... Give me a little credit. Do you think I'd go out of my way to sell you a bunch of shit knowing that I'd have to hear about it all over the site? I think I'm a little smarter than that.

If you want Harrop flies, I'm not stopping you from purchasing them from Harrop for $2.25 a pop or more.

If you look at this site, does it look like I skimp on things? The two of you are passing judgement on a product that you haven't even seen or touched. To add to that, I suppose what I said in my last post about me hand selecting each fly, didn't really matter.

A name doesn't make a fly a quality fly. What makes a quality fly is when you present it correctly and a trout comes up and grabs it. That's a quality fly.

You will find cheap flies on ebay. The flies I was considering are inexpensive high quality from a very high quality source.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

The first time I've bought flies in a long time was last week, when I was visiting in Arizona, and the guy in Cabela's suggested using BWO in a size 22. On the money! I was into 8-10 " stocked rainbowsall day! Unfortunately, I admit I avoid tying anything smaller than 18, since the eyes don't even want to go there any more. Though I do remember once tying a royal coachman in a 22, just to prove I could.
    I'd love to buy flies tied by local fly tyers, because we all have our own quirks in tying that we've found work for us, sometimes better than standard patterns.
    Most guides have thier own patterns, that they often don't share other than to give them to clients to use, especially when they aren't catching.
    In short, I buy smaller flies than I like to tie, and flies more or less unique to a certain tyer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Any Rene Harrop flys...

Dons Sculpin

But that is just me
    Shwag flies? Who said anything about Shwag flies? Give me a little credit. You've got me coined as a crook and I'm just looking for opinions. I have to tell yah too... Any fly that I've ever sold on this site was checked (Each and every fly) before it went out to a customer...
    Dennis I am sory if you think I am not giving you enough credit.. I have always been happy with the flys I have bought from this site in the past.

I in no way think you are a crook and hope no one else jumps to that conclusion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,068 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 11 Times in 11 Posts

A fly is a fly is a fly.

As I was fussing over a fly I was tying, Floyd Franke was sitting next to me said, don't sweat it, the fish really doesn't care.

I was tying for perfection and got away from tying to entice.

Rene' what ever.. this ducks ass v. that ducks behind.... thats all BS.

Will the fly hold together when fishing (catching)
    The cost of the fly is less than.... Cabella's?
    Does it look like the photo in American Angler?

If you answered 'yes" to all three (for some it is counting your figures 1..2..3..)

Then I would say it is a good deal....

But what do I know.... 1,2,3 hours ago I was helping my kid with algebra algorithms.

Thread Information