Royal Wulff Products
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 37

Thread: Powell fly rods

  1. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hamlin Pa/Deposit NY
    Posts
    3,220
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    982
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    850
    Thanked in
    625 Posts
    Chats
    3358
    Groans
    11
    Groaned 28 Times in 28 Posts


    Re: Powell fly rods

    count me in. I may be a little late, but wait for me at the launch.

    To look good is to fish good

  2. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    11,853
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,612
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,077
    Thanked in
    693 Posts
    Chats
    3093
    Groans
    28
    Groaned 33 Times in 33 Posts


    Re: Powell fly rods

    Quote Originally Posted by WBDluver View Post
    count me in. I may be a little late, but wait for me at the launch.
    That sounds familiar. I'm sorry Dluver but there isn't enough room in Joe da boat and in uncomfortable when you try to sit on my lap

    "Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

  3. #27
    Macnuts is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    4
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    0
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Re: Powell fly rods

    I got the nickname when I was in the infantry out of ft. Stewart ga. I have 5 or so vintage powell rods, but what I'm looking for specifically is a 10' 5-6 weight powell legacy. If anyone has one in decent shape, I'd love to buy it. Mine was stolen out of my car. It was my first fly rod and I miss it.


  4. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    704 Hauser Street
    Posts
    3,690
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,266
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,140
    Thanked in
    807 Posts
    Chats
    1619
    Groans
    5
    Groaned 40 Times in 37 Posts


    Re: Powell fly rods

    Does Powell still offer the Boog model?

    Hell no and it aint over now.......

  5. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,478
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    134
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    502
    Thanked in
    297 Posts
    Chats
    0
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts


    Re: Powell fly rods

    Quote Originally Posted by Trouser Trout View Post
    Does Powell still offer the Boog model?
    That brought back a blast from the past.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8c6Ir2okLY


  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FIN-ITE 34 For This Useful Post:

    lightenup (01-23-2015), Trouser Trout (01-24-2015)

  7. #30
    Macnuts is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    4
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    0
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Re: Powell fly rods

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Bryan View Post
    In the midst of these big earth shattering opinions, legitimate product questions, and Huge Hyperbolic Assumptions based upon chatter amongst individuals who seem to think they are in the know but aren't, and because they read something one sided on the web. Iíll try and answer the basic info thatís being talked about here in terms of product, a little about the company, and just a note or two of the past. After that, if youíre unable to move forward because you enjoy rolling around in the mud with hogs, then youíll just stay muddy. Further, I seldom get on these boards, however, after finding this one, I decided to correct the Hyperbole and answer the genuine consumer questions, and set the record straight whether some of you like it or not.

    First-I own the company and have worked for the company for 10 yrs so I guess you can pick on me. I have no affiliation anymore with ANY of the past owners. What I will tell you is that Press Powell himself told me personally before he passed that I was doing a good job and to keep it up, enough said on that. Jim Clarkson is a great guy and a great rod assembly guy. The difference between him and us is we are Powell, and we make and or assemble every aspect of our rods, from the blank, the butt and to the tip top and everything in between.

    Second-Schwab is worth how muchóHe didnít need the money, this was a classic case of you know what . In fact, I hear with the weather in the bay area being as cold as it has been lately, that that old attorney, now has his own hands in his own pockets for once, whatís that tell you, must not be many ambulances running around. Plus, if you noticed, there are always 2 sides to a story and now, and who cares, enough said there too.

    The businessóWe are growing so fast right now (Hope it continues) as a result of great products but most of all, great consumers. and we are doing it in the way in which Powell family always wanted to do it, which was to become a well rounded rod company, and thatís what we are and will continue to try and do. We are a rod company; we make fishing rods, and thatís just what we do. Fly rods, Bass rods, etc. With much more to come. So if anyone is wondering if their warranty is going to be honored or taken care of, please know, you have nothing to worry about because we will always take care of our product and stand behind it. If thereís some that think we are insignificant or in trouble then great, because we arenít going to bat 1,000 and we want supporters, so that just reduced our batting average a little, and thatís okay by us and they have every right to wonder about whatever they want.

    Good info on the dealer statement and about taking care of our customers I appreciate that, but---No we didnít intentionally do away with retailers forever nor did we want to, what we did was to shift our strategy and broaden the companyís distribution with more products so eventually when we came back to the stores we could offer our same great high performance and high quality products at the best prices without any compromise, because we buy so much raw material and components in bulk, so it reduces our overall costs, therefore allowing us to pass on that savings to the consumer. Iím as American as it gets, and with our design team here in the states and our manufacturing overseas we are able to implement this strategy. If you donít like it thatís your right, and thatís all good with us and we understand.

    All I can tell you is that I appreciate the Powell conversation because there will always be sides, and man, especially with a companyís that will be 100yrs old in 2 more years, thereís a lot in that closet over the years. Just think about how old you are, and how much is in your own closets, including mine, for those of you squawking? I will always call a spade a spade. Think about it, do you really think that after a company has been around for this long as this one has and will be that there wonít always be someone who will want to carry on this tradition and take care of its customers? And guess what, the warranty, innovative designs through rigorous R & D will always happen, at least under my watch and itís happening now. For those of you who have and continue to support us, we thank you and appreciate you very much. For the oneís that donít yet fish our rods, and for the oneís that never will, thereís always a place here for you here if you decide to give us a try. If not, please know we understand know that this is what brand loyalty is all about, and thatís a great thing. There are many great companyís out there, so enjoy it and get off the couch and from out behind the computer every once in a while and be a participant. I was always told to be very careful when you point your finger at someone or something, because almost always, thereís more fingers pointing back at yourself, so be careful who you are criticizing because in the end, we are all human and none of us are perfect.

    Strap in boys itís now going to start getting real fun here at Powell.

    Thank you very much and if you took the time to read this, I appreciate your time. I will not go back forth on the board here, like it or not. If you would like to discuss further, visit online at powellco.com and call the number listed there.

    Happy Fishing

    Keith Bryan

    Owner
    President
    Powell Products, Inc.


  8. #31
    Macnuts is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    4
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    0
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Re: Powell fly rods

    If you think Jim Clarkson is a "Rod Assembly Guy", that only illustrates how naive you actually are. He has more experience than anybody that works at "Schwab Rod" and you would be LUCKY to have him in your employ. He might even teach you guys how to make a rod! Also, (unlike your company's rods) he has a spine. Btw, your company is not almost 100 years old, just the name. YOUR company is about 19 years old. Btw, I have a 10' powell legacy with a broken tip built by Press Powell. Can I send it in to the "Powell" company and have it fixed? No, I cant. The new Powell company doesn't honor the old lifetime warranty of the old company. But hey! You guys are coming up on 100years! You call yourself the same company, but you don't honor the warranties of the company whose integrity you claim to have kept in tact. I can tell you first hand, that E.C., Walton, And Press Powell NEVER had a rod made in China, you "all American" business owner. If you guys are gonna get a rod, buy a real Powell rod on eBay or craigslist. Keep your eyes open and they pop up all the time. One way you can tell is by the Logo. If it says Powell and it has a "Nike-type" swooshy circle around the name Powell on the rod, don't buy it. I'm not saying they make good or bad rods, I'm just saying they're made in China and Assembled in so-cal at the "Powell rod company". Feel free to get back to me about that legacy Mr. President.


  9. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    6,079
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,103
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,585
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Chats
    1931
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 25 Times in 24 Posts


    Re: Powell fly rods

    You know it's the dead of winter when folks start bringing back zombie threads from years past....

    A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

  10. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,478
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    134
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    502
    Thanked in
    297 Posts
    Chats
    0
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts


    Re: Powell fly rods

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post
    You know it's the dead of winter when folks start bringing back zombie threads from years past....
    Cabin fever, that'll do it to you. Only one cure, got to get out and fish.


  11. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    6,079
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,103
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,585
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Chats
    1931
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 25 Times in 24 Posts


    Re: Powell fly rods

    Quote Originally Posted by FIN-ITE 34 View Post
    Cabin fever, that'll do it to you. Only one cure, got to get out and fish.
    Or sit in the hot tub in a blizzard with a case of beer. Both are good

    A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

  12. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,478
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    134
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    502
    Thanked in
    297 Posts
    Chats
    0
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts


    Re: Powell fly rods

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spinner View Post
    Or sit in the hot tub in a blizzard with a case of beer. Both are good
    So much for the blizzard, now stream access shouldn't be too much of a problem.
    Case of beer and a hot tub = recipe for drowning, for me at least.


  13. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    6,079
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,103
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,585
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Chats
    1931
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 25 Times in 24 Posts


    Re: Powell fly rods

    Quote Originally Posted by FIN-ITE 34 View Post
    So much for the blizzard, now stream access shouldn't be too much of a problem.
    Case of beer and a hot tub = recipe for drowning, for me at least.

    Happy to say I survived. And fishing the SBR isn't looking so bad later today.

    A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Thread Participants: 19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •