Here is a possible source of funds to do some of the work needed in the area. Unfortunately, this seems to be targeted for infrastructure work that, at least in Hancock, has already been completed under FEMA reimbursement. IF you have a specific project in mind, it would be worth pursuing this money for the project.

This is some of the money that TU helped to get for the recovery of the area from flooding.

Upstate counties eligible for flood recovery funds

New York State Acting Agriculture Commissioner Patrick Hooker Thursday announced that the U.S. Department of Agriculture will provide $16.8 million in response to New York's request for recovery assistance for last year's devastating floods. The funds will be used to help restore agricultural and community infrastructure disrupted by flooding, severe stream bank erosion and debris deposits in flood affected counties.

"The flooding experienced in the Mohawk Valley and Susquehanna River Basin last summer caused significant damage to many local communities," Hooker said. "These funds will help mitigate the damage caused by the massive amounts of water that ruined towns, villages, businesses and fields. With more work to be done, these funds will allow us to rebuild our communities and better protect our stream banks, erodable lands and natural resources."

The funding is being made available through USDA's Natural Resources Conservation Service's Emergency Watershed Protection Program. EWP assists with the implementation of critical emergency measures such as removal of debris from streams, protecting destabilized stream banks, establishing cover on critically eroding lands, and repairing conservation practices needed to relieve the imminent hazards to life and property created by natural disaster.

NRCS will provide up to 75 percent of the funds needed to restore the natural function of a watershed and up to 90 percent in limited resource areas damaged by a natural disaster. The local sponsor for the work, which could be a municipality, improvement district or conservation district, must pay the remaining cost-share, which can be provided by cash and/or in-kind services. All work performed must be environmentally and economically sound and generally benefit more than one property owner.