Hatch Outdoors

View Poll Results: Do you wade fish at night?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Frequently (and I go solo)

24 20.69%
  • Occasionally (with a friend or two)

42 36.21%
  • Will try it one day

36 31.03%
  • Not a chance

14 12.07%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

night wade fishing

A little poll to see how many guys do this. Closest I ever came was crossing the SR at 1000 cfs before sunrise just to get to a spot.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Re: night wade fishing

In saltwater, all the time. Nite time is the rite time. In fresh, not so much. I don't like the thought of slipping on a rock in the pitch black in a moving river....

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by C&R View Post
    A little poll to see how many guys do this. Closest I ever came was crossing the SR at 1000 cfs before sunrise just to get to a spot.
    to the club

I have fished the surf at SH a lot at dark and love it... however I did not splurge and buy the night pass that is required this season. This past trout season however I had a handful of times where I fished into dark. I remember right before the big flood on the D I hit the MS with another member from this site we fished till a little after 10 and it wasnt shortly before 10 if I remember that the fish started to rise. It is a rush when they crush your fly and take off. Usually I have a long ride home so I dont fish too late but any time I find myself not having to drive back to Jersey I will fish at night. The majority of my luck has been on the surface though w/ trout havent had many luck with streamers YET.

This next season I am going to try my luck at night with my spey rod skittering drys and swinging wet flys at night. I am sure hooking the fish will be easy with the longer rod landing them however will be another issue entirely esp at night.

Just be sure to bring a spare lamp and batteries as the last time I found my self fishing into the dark I my lamp burn out and had a long walk back to my car.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

I've done it, but only in waters that I'm very familar with, and are relatively free of hazards.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Junction Pool - West Branch Delaware - Spinner Fall

Easy wading, only 50 feet from the parking lot.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

I wade all the time at night at SH and the back bays. And yes alot of the time by myself. If your fly fishing at night the fish seem to come in alot closer.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

For me, that's a big NFW

The_Sib

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Camon The_Sib you got the new 9 footer bring it out on the Big D some night and throw some large coffin flies. Remember to bring the pine tar for the grip dont want to lose the new rod.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

I have waded in the dark several times in the home pool on the downstream portion of the West Branch Anglers property.

Generally starts at about 1 am after leaving the bar on the premisis.

Then someone slurs, Hey lests go fishishinging.
    Yea, lets go!

Then we somehow manage ourselves into the tailout of the pool. Generally it lasts about 20 minutes and we give up.

However, several years ago on on fathers day eve, GBS, Big Bobby and I slid into the pool one night and were swinging large dark colored zuddlers.

Although none of us landed a fish do to complete spazicity, we all hooked up several times with very violent strikes at the the end of almost every swing.

Suddenly, GBS and I heard Bobby screaming like a 5 year old girl ( bobby is about 6 foot 13 inchs and packing 250 plus, and generally is the cause of other people screaming like little girls.

We ran down to see what was the all the ruckus about, as Bobby was pulling a Jesus , running almost on top of the water out of the river.

A 4 foot plus lamprey had decided that bobby would make a good host, and had wrapped itself around his leg while trying to latch on.

Horror Movie stuff!

By the time we got there the eel had given up, and so did we!

Ralph

Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,130 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 11 Times in 11 Posts

Wading at night, tough question.

If you know that area like the back of your hand, preplanned the spots you are going to fish, brought enough lighting for changing out flies, and your ingress & egress from the river, no problem as long as you are cognisant of the hazards and taken precautions to reduce the risk of injury or worse.

Three years ago I fished the Salmon River at DSR the day after Thanksgiving, I was in there before sun rise and did cross the river to get to a spot, however, the flow rate was at 350 cfs.

Crossing any river at 1,000 cfs? NO WAY.

No fishing spot or fish is worth that.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

I do wade past sundown when I am catching alote or have not caught anything, mostly the later because I have a hard time leaving without catching anything. But I only stay when it's a river I know and plan my exit from the water.

tying flies,thinking of lies to tell the wife about where I'll be, when I'm out fishing with a buddy

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by AKSkim View Post
    Crossing any river at 1,000 cfs? NO WAY.
    Sure you would. I am a notorious mamsy pambsy, when it comes to being careful. However you could walk across many parts of the west branch and main stem if they were under 1000 with no trouble. If I can do it anyone can do it.

ralph

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information