Hatch Outdoors

View Poll Results: rotary or not

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • I tie rotary.

49 42.24%
  • I have a rotary vice but don't tie rotary.

34 29.31%
  • I have a non-rotary vice.

22 18.97%
  • I don't tie!

11 9.48%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: rotary or not?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

rotary or not?

Just a quick poll to see how many people use rotary tying techniques.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

fire Re: rotary or not?

I have rotary vises and use rotary techniques to apply some materials.

However,... I use my vise's rotary feature constantly.

Meaning, I may not be spinning the hook 360 degrees all that often to apply materials but I am constantly adjusting the flys' axis to:

1) View the fly better.

2) Apply a material, (using traditional methods) more effectively by having a better angle for which your hands to work.

3) Head cement/epoxy application. There is no comparison.

I actually the spin the hook (360) when:

1) Applying large dubbing loops

2) Applying Long chenille/braid bodies

3) Applying a rib on full dress Salmon flies or a presentation quality streamer and I want to really micro manage the rib spacing and angle.

All in all I don't know why someone would opt for a vise with fixed jaws. (other than money)

As for going with a Nor-Vise or another vise that has a precision "true rotary" alignment...well I have seen some guys really get into it and use it to great advantage. Especially commercial tyers, but for the average tyer, basic rotary function will really enhance things. Especially if they are coming off a basic fixed jaw or "Fly Tying Kit" vise.

Just my .02

~James

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,068 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 11 Times in 11 Posts

Re: rotary or not?

If I tied full dressed salmon, dee or spey flies I would procure a rotary vise.

To me there is nothing in a typical fly that I would use where a non-rotary vise cannot handle. Not to say there are some very nice rotary vises out there on the market, at present it does not suit my requirements.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I still use my trusty old Thompson A that I bought in 1964 with my paper route money.

I'm a cheap old bastige !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,068 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 11 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RickW View Post
    I still use my trusty old Thompson A that I bought in 1964 with my paper route money.
    Just someone who is comfortable with their vise is all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Maybe if I were to tie more I might upgrade, but for what use my vise gets it's more than sufficient.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    301 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RickW View Post

I'm a cheap old bastige !
    Me too!

I got mine a few years after you did (sometime between 1967 & 1969), but have been using it ever since.....I still have the box with a price tag that says $8.10.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

I use a rotary just like JC does. I am constantly ajusting the position of my fly to put on wings or just to get a better look at things. I even turn the hook for applying head cement. I feel spoiled. I really think I'd have a hard time going back to a regular vise.

Jeremy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

Hi All
    I'm a gadget getter & I picked up a used Nor Vise for a good price & tried to tie on it but with my big hands I ended up just using it for streamers. I picked up a cheaper Griffen Rotary after that because I like the rotary idea & got used to that so I like Rotary. My wife overheard me talking about vises & went to Effingers & they talked her into a Renzetti Master. It's so pretty I'm afraid to use it. I still got to get there & thank the salesman.........
    Neil

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I use a rotary, I love it and won't go back to a fixed vise BUT...

A regular "A style" vise offers a WAY more comfortable hand rest and better clearance for tailing really small flies IMHO.

My advice to anybody contemplating a rotary: TRY BEFORE YOU BUY! Ignore the hype, borrow one or visit the fly shop with feathers in tow and tie a few flies of different styles on it before making a decision. If all you want it for is to inspect the far side of what you are tying; most regular vises will do that for 25% of the cost of a rotary. Heck a mirror will do that too!

If after trying one you feel you absolutely must have the rotary function to wrap materials around the hook then buy one.

If you aren't going to use it to wrap materials you will be wasting your money.

Hatches?, I don't got to show you any stinkin' hatches!! - FUBO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    134 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I own a Renzetti Master and love it. Do I use the rotary feature as it was truly made to do, NO. I never use the rotary feature as it was truly intended to. By choice I prefer to to put on floss, chenille and ribbing by hand. I feel I have much bettter control of the material which for most fly tyers is the biggest battle. I use the rotary function to look at the other side of the fly, turn the fly a bit to put cheeks on a fly and lastly for applying head cement. Now the reason I went with the vise I have is because I do tye Salmon flies and there are not to many vises on the market that can hold flies from size 18 through Size 5/0. These are the range of hooks that I use and found this vise to be the best for me. Yes there is the Dynking Barracuda and a few other vises out there that I could have bought. I just liked and preferred the Renzetti. Now I have gone back at times and have tyed the same flies on my Thompson model A. The fly came out just as nice and I had no issues with going backwards. Now I feel that if you do not learn the basics of fly tying it really doesn't matter which vise you tye on. Just because you own a rotary vise does not make one a better tyer. What I really hate hearing is tyers trying to justify the vise they bought or use. Stop and just be happy what you bought and enjoy. Fly tying is ment to be fun, relaxing and for a few art. This is the only hobby I know that let's you stay connected to the stream during the cold winter months.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Chats
    Groans

I used to play some serious poker on Monday nights. Same crew of 7-8 guys so we all knew each other well, but we also all were capable players. The stakes were not huge, but not penny ante either. One February just before Effingers used to have their big sale, I had a good night and walked home with a pocket full of money. Renzetti had just introduced their line of vices (but had not yet started selling the traveler or master.), I bought the pedestal model. Still have it and have tied thousands of flies on it.

A couple of years ago I bought the entire contents of someones fly tying room. they had not tied in a couple of years and did not expect to continue. Got the entire contents, including a lamp, several thousand hooks and loads of material. Also included was a Renzetti Masters Vice, which is what I now use for all my fly tying. II love the rotary and use it quite a bit, but as other have said it takes some getting used to for positioning fingers and materials for tails and wings. But even for parachutes, you still need to dub a body or ribbing, so the feature is worth while.

I also have an old Thompson Model A that still works very well, and will prob last forever since I hardly use it any more. I will say that the Travelers is a very good functional vice, but as Neil mentioned the Masters is a thing of beauty, and a real pleasure to tie flies on.

That being said buy and use the vise that suits you.

Thread Information