Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Fishing/hiking near Saratoga Springs

Gonna be in the area doing some work tomrrow. I'll definitely have time for a hike or a fish. Any ideas?

Similar Threads:
    Lacey: Where'd you get that pistol?
    Blevins: At the gettin' place.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    508 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 13 Times in 12 Posts

Re: Fishing/hiking near Saratoga Springs

Quote Originally Posted by moosekid View Post
    Gonna be in the area doing some work tomrrow. I'll definitely have time for a hike or a fish. Any ideas?
    Here's an older thread on the area:

http://www.njflyfishing.com/vBulleti...ad.php?t=22326

Good luck, let us know what you were able to find.

Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

The trout fishing up there in the spring is ok at best, and straight-up sucks this time of the year when everything is low and warm. Most of the streams up there are put and take. The small mouth fishing however, can be pretty good. The lower Hoosic is pretty good, so is the kayaderosseras, and the Schroon is loaded with small mouth and a few pike. The Hoosic and Kaya are your closest options, the Schroon is about an hour north, but has more fish because no one fishes it for smallies. Don't bother with the Upper Hoosic, Little Hoosic, or the Battenkill because they're all low and warm. If you insist on trout fishing, give yourself and extra day or 2 and head into the Adirondacks where every little stream has brookies. Otherwise bring a 6wt and some poppers and a spin rod with some Senkos and Keitechs.

Roll up the windows Brian, you're letting the stank out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Trout Nazi View Post
    The trout fishing up there in the spring is ok at best, and straight-up sucks this time of the year when everything is low and warm. Most of the streams up there are put and take. The small mouth fishing however, can be pretty good. The lower Hoosic is pretty good, so is the kayaderosseras, and the Schroon is loaded with small mouth and a few pike. The Hoosic and Kaya are your closest options, the Schroon is about an hour north, but has more fish because no one fishes it for smallies. Don't bother with the Upper Hoosic, Little Hoosic, or the Battenkill because they're all low and warm. If you insist on trout fishing, give yourself and extra day or 2 and head into the Adirondacks where every little stream has brookies. Otherwise bring a 6wt and some poppers and a spin rod with some Senkos and Keitechs.
    was doing some work at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center -- which is a pretty awesome spot, had never been before. Either way, its about a 2 minute walk from SPAC to Geyser creek so I fished it and caught 2 stockie rainbows in about 15 minutes.

after I was done w work I tried the Kaya for about a 45 minutes. It was really warm, and I caught nothing but was impressed at the habitat restoration that had clearly been done on both rivers. it looked very natural, but it was all too good to be natural...

alot of time and money has gone into making those rivers more suitable for sustaining trout.

Lacey: Where'd you get that pistol?
    Blevins: At the gettin' place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 26 Times in 25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moosekid View Post
    but was impressed at the habitat restoration that had clearly been done on both rivers. it looked very natural, but it was all too good to be natural...

alot of time and money has gone into making those rivers more suitable for sustaining trout.
    As someone that co-owns a river restoration company, I'm curious what you mean. Just too good to be true as in every pool is nicer than the next? When we do enhancements, let's say for a fly fishing club, we may want that "trout narnia" look. But when we do true restorations, our goals shift to a more natural restoration that mimics nature more than enhancing it too much.

A sinking fly is closer to Hell - ​Unknown

Thread Information