Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    117 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Re: How did you get into flyfishing

I have been fishing as far back as remember and I was fortunate enough to live near a reservoir that I could walk to and slide under the barbed wire fence. Back then it was worms, split shot, and eagle claw hooks which was all I could afford on a 10 cents/week allowance. Once I was able to ride my bike places I could fish for trout in a couple of nearby streams, all stocked fish but back then waters like the Pascack Brooks and Upper Hackensack River could hold a few trout through the Summer. I fished the Big Flat Brook for my first time at age 12 and caught what I believe was my first wild brook trout (about 7 inches) and naturally I killed and ate it.
    Once I could drive I explored the better waters in NJ and did watch with some fascination the anglers fly fishing. Once I graduated college I read a book by Dick Talleur and jumped head first into fly fishing. I tied flies before I fly fished and they were horrible, but I managed to catch an occasional trout. The best thing I did was get involved with Trout Unlimited and learned truly how to tie good flies and fish them. I used to teach fly tying at TU sponsored events and my skill advanced thanks to the TUers. That was 45 years ago and I am still hooked and also amazed at the progress we have made in protecting many of our quality waters in the tri-State area. My only regret? Insisting that I fish my own flies even though I watched tyers like the Darbees and Dettes make their creations and never buying examples of their work. They were beautiful flies but I was not going to fish them so I would buy a leader or something else after hanging around their shops for an hour.

NJPB

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NJpatbee For This Useful Post:

lightenup (4 Weeks Ago)

Thread Information