Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,023 Times in 489 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 13 Times in 12 Posts

NEFF - Final days or not?

We've been online for quite some time now. 2001 or 2002? That's a long time!

My host just told me they will be pulling the plug on the server that hosts this site at the end of the month (December).

We have a few options.
    1. Pull the plug on the site.
    2. Create a Facebook page/group and run the site from there.
    3. Find a new host and let the site run, but keep in mind, I'm paying for it and if I'm paying for it, I'm not so sure it's worth it to keep up for the small handful of people we have here.

Also, this will take me quite a bit of time because I haven't paid much attention to this software in the past few years therefore, I will have to figure out how to configure it all over again.

I'm interested in your opinions. I know the site still matters to some of you so before I do anything drastic, speak up!

To everyone / anyone who stuck around through the good / bad / ugly, Thank You!

Similar Threads:
    Pictures taken before/after/during fly fishing:
    http://dcabarle.smugmug.com/Sports/F...79119552_XXeHe

flyI4 is offline Fishizzle, I use worms but I'm looking to upgrade!
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Re: NEFF - Final days or not?

Quote Originally Posted by dcabarle View Post

My host just told me they will be pulling the plug on the server that hosts this site at the end of the month (December).

We have a few options.
    3. Find a new host and let the site run, but keep in mind, I'm paying for it and if I'm paying for it, I'm not so sure it's worth it to keep up for the small handful of people we have here.

Also, this will take me quite a bit of time because I haven't paid much attention to this software in the past few years therefore, I will have to figure out how to configure it all over again.

I'm interested in your opinions. I know the site still matters to some of you so before I do anything drastic, speak up!

Dennis,

Its crazy to think this site is nearly 20 years old. A lot of people have met and still fish together to this day as a result of initially meeting/discussing here. I think the FB page option would be a good way to keep things going, and would actually fit better with current trends anyway since its easy to share photos, communicate with other members, etc.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

I don't do facebook...i will miss my "ridiculous" debates with Macfly, and being a smartass...what will I do at work now?!?!?!?!?
    Kill this mess!!!
    Thanks for the fun...

"I'm not out on the river to win." -Kieth Rutherford

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lightenup For This Useful Post:

CTobias (3 Days Ago)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Is there a use for a website like this anymore? I could always redesign it. I built it once, I'm certain I could rebuild it. Facebook has taken over but I definitely understand that not everyone uses or likes that format.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Kinda lost the energy and passion to run this site a long time ago. Even now, I visit once a week! I need to re-motivate myself. I just took a look at the latest software and it looks somewhat promising.

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 5 Times in 5 Posts

I'm not on facebook either, and will be sad to see the site go, but completely understand your reasons for possibly not continuing on with it.

Bring back fly of the month club, fly swaps and king of the monkeys!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Thursthouse For This Useful Post:

CTobias (3 Days Ago)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 684 Posts
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 32 Times in 32 Posts

Neff must be reborn (via software upgrade) and rise from the ashes to achieve its ultimate destiny as the premier flyfishing site in the history of the Internet. I vote we move forward and if you choose to do so I will contribute monetarily to your noble endeavor. I am sure beetle will contribute as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcabarle View Post

We have a few options.

"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MACFLY For This Useful Post:

CTobias (3 Days Ago)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

You mean lose debates to me you boob
    Quote Originally Posted by lightenup View Post
    I don't do facebook...i will miss my "ridiculous" debates with Macfly, and being a smartass...what will I do at work now?!?!?!?!?
    Kill this mess!!!
    Thanks for the fun...

"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MACFLY For This Useful Post:

CTobias (3 Days Ago)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts

Frankly, Facebook is counter-intuitive to internet safety & privacy.
    I prefer the forum/message board format.

[rant] It doesn't necessarily need to be a vB with so many mods that a dialup user needs to turn off scripting to load a page.... At this point the albums, blogs, groups, & etc aren't even being used.... The shoutbox is just for people too lazy to make a real post....Unless you're actually making money, the advertising capability is wasted....Nobody looks at a calendar that stopped in 2010....

BTW: From what I could see, without AK to amuse us, all our "limited censorship" policy does is drive off the women, (and the men who actually like women). [/rant]

A basic board w/o all the bells, whistles and blinkin lights would serve us fine.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pete For This Useful Post:

CTobias (3 Days Ago), Johnw (4 Days Ago)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Everyone's comments are valuable. I think the chat feature is a good one. I do agree that it's for some lazy people but some do like to just come in, post something quick, and leave (hit it and quit it) ....

You're right, we don't need the calendar, albums, blogs, groups..... All useless.

Fly of the Month / Fly swaps / King of the monkeys! There is nothing from stopping any of the members here from doing any of that. Have at it.

If there is enough interest, I'll keep the place online with MAC's financial aide! I'd like to figure out how many people still visit. I think the tracker is probably outdated so the numbers aren't accurate.

We can make this place whatever we want it to be but I'm not going to do it alone so if you're on board, count me in!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dcabarle For This Useful Post:

CTobias (3 Days Ago)

Thanks
    Chats
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flyI4 View Post
    Dennis,

Its crazy to think this site is nearly 20 years old. A lot of people have met and still fish together to this day as a result of initially meeting/discussing here. I think the FB page option would be a good way to keep things going, and would actually fit better with current trends anyway since its easy to share photos, communicate with other members, etc.

I agree with JC but also understand the folks that don't use it. Tough call. I come on every now and again and would miss it regardless.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tkhour For This Useful Post:

CTobias (3 Days Ago), dcabarle (4 Days Ago)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Chats
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Frankly, Facebook is counter-intuitive to internet safety & privacy.
    I prefer the forum/message board format.

[rant] It doesn't necessarily need to be a vB with so many mods that a dialup user needs to turn off scripting to load a page.... At this point the albums, blogs, groups, & etc aren't even being used.... The shoutbox is just for people too lazy to make a real post....Unless you're actually making money, the advertising capability is wasted....Nobody looks at a calendar that stopped in 2010....

BTW: From what I could see, without AK to amuse us, all our "limited censorship" policy does is drive off the women, (and the men who actually like women). [/rant]

A basic board w/o all the bells, whistles and blinkin lights would serve us fine.
    Please father can’t we have just one light and bell. DC I would be interested in seeing the new software and what it offers. Pm me what you think you might need for a donation in order to help keep this going.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to MACFLY For This Useful Post:

CTobias (3 Days Ago)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information